How to Apply
Please note that we are not accepting additional applications to the GIS Certificate Program at this time. We apologize for the inconvenience, but hope to resume processing applications a later date.
To apply, please submit the following materials to the Coordinator of the GIS Certificate Program:
- Application. Fill out and submit the application (should be uploaded as LastName_FirstName_Application.pdf).
- Transcripts. Arrange for official transcripts from all colleges or universities you have attended, with date of actual or expected degree(s) clearly indicated, to be sent directly to the GIS Certificate Program at the email address [[giscertificate]] (or designate William & Mary as the destination and inform the GIS Certificate Program Director via email).
- Application to Determine Physical Residency/In-State Tuition. Even if you are not a Virginia resident, please complete and submit this form (should be uploaded as LastName_FirstName_Residency.pdf).
- Letter of Recommendation. Have your recommendation letter(s) sent to the GIS Certificate Program Director at [[giscertificate]] (they may be Word, PDF, or the content of an email sent from an official/business email address).
- A Resume or CV (curriculum vitae) and Personal Statement. Provide a PDF of your resume or CV describing relevant work experience. If you have no geospatial work experience, please provide a personal statement, not more than one single-spaced page, explaining your interest in and/or prior experience with GIS and other geospatial technologies and how this certificate program will meet your personal or professional goals. These documents should be uploaded as LastName_FirstName_Resume.pdf and LastName_FirstName_Statement.pdf, respectively.
- Application Fee. The non-refundable application fee, in the amount of $75, will be paid via credit card.
- Submit. Submit completed application materials via the button below. Please ensure all materials meet the specified naming conventions.
- Admission. The Program Director may request an interview or interest meeting. Program admittance decisions will be communicated via email.
For questions regarding the application, contact [[w|cga]]
Please also note:
International applicants needing F-1 student visa sponsorship may enroll in the program.
Applicants whose first language is not English must be able to demonstrate English language proficiency through one of the following ways:
- A test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) minimum composite score of 100 for the Internet Based Test (IBT) or 600 for the paper-based score; or an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score
minimumof 6.5 on the academic exam.
- In cases where a test score is within 5% of the above scores, a student may be admitted pending a successful oral interview with the certificate coordinator.
- Successful completion of undergraduate or graduate study in a school where English is the language of instruction.