Murray 1693 Scholar
Winchester, VA (John Handley HS)
Areas of Interest
Math, Chemistry, Computer Science
As a Virginia resident, I always knew William & Mary would be on my college list. It was actually the first school I visited. As just a sophomore, I stumbled onto the campus very terrified but also very excited. I was intrigued when I learned about the focus on a broad liberal arts education as well as the potential to hone in on what I am passionate about. I soon learned that William & Mary has the resources and opportunities of a larger school as well as the personalized attention and advising of a smaller one.
William & Mary was one of the few schools I truly felt I could turn into a new home. What ultimately swayed my decision was the 1693 Finalist Weekend when I had the opportunity to meet the other scholars and become acquainted with the campus. I was incredibly nervous but quickly put at ease by the kind people who I met and their words of encouragement. I could feel the close-knit nature and friendliness of the group of scholars and knew I wanted to be part of it too.
That weekend, I found a new family and a new home. I enjoyed visiting the farmer’s market and the cow that often visited campus. I also enjoyed learning more about the school, and by the time I left, I was sold. I was sure that William & Mary was full of people I could connect with. It has diversity, beauty, and a wonderful academic reputation. I couldn’t ask for much more.
High School Activities
- Captain of Debate Team
- President/Founder of Bollywood Dance Club
- Vice President of Interact Community Service Club
- Founder of ThePrincessCodes.com
- Namaste Shenandoah Hindu Sunday School Teacher
- National Honor Society Member
- Member of Holder’s Heroes advocating anti-bullying
- Relay for Life committee member raising money for cancer research
Awards / Distinctions
- Class Valedictorian
- National AP Scholar
- George Washington Leadership Book Award
- Interact Most Active Member -- highest number of community service hours