Murray 1693 Scholar
Norfolk, VA (Homeschooled/ODU)
Russian & Post-Soviet Studies and Linguistics
When I began the college application process last year, I was looking for a place that would open doors. I searched for Math Departments with advanced courses in number theory and opportunities for research. I sought out Russian and Japanese Departments that included study abroad programs and active student organizations. As the months sped by, I managed to narrow my search to just a handful of schools. Each was a great option, but as spring rolled around, I still wasn’t sure - which one should I choose?
When I arrived at W&M for the 1693 Scholars Weekend, I was immediately impressed by the faculty. Every professor I spoke with overflowed with enthusiasm about the school. During lunches at the Murray House, faculty members sat with us and asked about our day. Upon returning home, one math professor called and offered advice on placement, courses, and research opportunities. Professors from the Russian department spoke with me on Skype about the study abroad program in St. Petersburg and student groups for watching Russian films and performing folk music. Everyone I spoke with went out of their way to help me and make me feel welcome. I was inspired by how much they loved what they did and by the testimonials of their students.
After my visit to W&M, I realized that while all the schools I applied to were excellent, W&M had something special that set it apart: its unique combination of amazing opportunities, supportive faculty, and welcoming community. I’m incredibly honored to be part of the 1693 Scholars Program and am grateful for its financial support. I’m convinced that the specialized programming and guidance will allow me to make the most of all that William & Mary has to offer. I could not be happier with my decision to attend William & Mary. Go Tribe!
- Dobro Slovo Award (2018) - W&M Russian Department
- Kinyo Award for Excellence in Japanese, 400-level (2018)
- Co-president of Campus Cursive, a student organization affiliated with More Love Letters, dedicated to spreading kindness and positivity through love letters
- W&M Russian Music Ensemble (President & Balalaika player)
- AidData GeoQuery Lab Researcher
- Assistant Researcher with the W&M Russian Movie Theater Project
- Staff Writer, Gazeta (W&M student-run Russian-language newspaper)
- Member of the Student Advisory Board for Student Accessibility Services
- The SAS Advisory Group works with the Student Accessibility Office to address student accessibility concerns and to help provide equal access to disabled students.
- Virtual Conversation Peer Partner
- Acclimating international students to life at W&M prior to their arrival
I studied abroad in St. Petersburg, Russia for 6 weeks and conducted research on memory in modern Russia.
High School Activities
- President of Old Dominion University Russian Club
- Founder and President of Tidewater Paracord Project
- North American Computational Linguistics Olympiad competition qualifier
- Self-study in mathematics and foreign languages
- Student at Rouxbe Cooking School
High School Awards
- National Merit Scholar
- AP Scholar
- National Russian Essay contest (Gold Medalist)
- National Latin Exam (Gold Medalist)
- Fisher House Foundation Scholarship for Military Children