Murray 1693 Scholar
Lewes, DE (Cape Henlopen HS)
Areas of Interest
History, Film and Media Studies, Journalism
At the age of eight, I visited Colonial Williamsburg with my family. I still treasure the memory of the day I spent there; I remember everything from the period-accurate dress I wore to the clay under my feet as my older brother and I tried our hand at brick-making. A decade later my college search took me to big cities across the Northeast, but it was the feeling of community and sense of wonder I retained from my childhood trip that brought me to Williamsburg.
The duality of William & Mary is what convinced me the Tribe is where I belong. W&M is simultaneously a small liberal arts college and a research university. Though Colonial Williamsburg is right next door, the attitude and resources of the College are thoroughly modern. And while W&M students are highly motivated, they value collaboration over competition. My visit to campus for the 1693 Scholars Weekend reaffirmed what I had already concluded from prior visits and the College's literature; William and Mary is a school for motivated (and quirky) students seeking a place with abundant opportunities and a true sense of community. I have no doubt I made the right choice.
- Rocket Magazine, Features team
- The Flat Hat, opinions contributor
- Young Democrats
- Shakespeare in the Dark
- DC Summer Institute in News and Media
- Two weeks of class at the Washington Center, studying new media and journalism with Dr. Timothy Barnard and doing site visits at D.C. media organizations.
- Marketing Intern at the 9:30 Club and I.M.P.
- Interned in marketing for I.M.P., an independent concert production and promotion company based in Washington, D.C.
- Assistant Editor, 9:30 Club Half-Past (current)
- Editing, formatting, and posting pieces submitted by contributors to the 9:30 Club blog, Half-Past. Writing music reviews, artist interviews, artist features, and show previews.
High School Activities
- Editor in Chief of student newspaper
- President of Gay-Straight Alliance
- Founder and organizer of the Lewes Teen Poetry Slams
- High school Theater Academy
- Girl Scout
- Intern at Lewes public library
- Publicist for Possum Juniors Youth Drama Group
- National Honors Society
- Girl Scout Silver Award
- Odyssey of the Mind (5th place in World Finals 2016)
- #9 on the Top 40 Free Speech Defenders of 2014 (National Coalition Against Censorship)