Info for... William & Mary
William & Mary W&M menu close William & Mary

FAQs about Student Employment

These are the most frequently asked questions regarding student employment. If you have additional questions or concerns, please call the Financial Aid Office at (757) 221-2420.

Student Employment

Who is eligible for student employment?
All classified students of William & Mary are eligible to work on campus.

How many hours can I work?
You are allowed to work a maximum of 29 hours per week during the school year. You are allowed to work up to 40 hours per week during breaks.

Can I have more than one job on campus?
Yes, but the total number of hours allowed is the same whether you have one or two jobs.

How will I be paid?
You are paid through direct deposit at an hourly rate which is usually the current federal minimum wage. This may be higher, depending on the type of work and skills required.

Federal Work-Study (FWS)

What is Federal Work-Study?
This is a federal program which provides jobs for students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay expenses incurred while in school.

Who is eligible for Federal Work-Study?
Students who demonstrate financial need. FWS has to be awarded as part of your financial aid package.  If you have not been awarded FWS, you do NOT have it!

Process for Getting on Student Payroll

Which forms are required to be completed before I get my first paycheck?

  • Employment Eligibility Verification Form (I-9)
    • The employer and student must complete this before submitting the Student Employment form to Financial Aid. Students may not work until the the I-9 has been completed.
  • Student Employment Form
  • Federal Tax Form (W-4) (myW&M)
  • Virginia Tax Form (VA-4) (myW&M)
  • Direct Deposit (myW&M and Instructions)

These forms must be completed on the first day of employment. 

Who has these forms?
The forms are located in myW&M under the Employee tab, which will become available once your Student Employment form has been processed by the Office of Student Financial Aid.

What is an I-9 form?
This is an online federal form which has to be completed by all new employees before beginning work. Proper identification must be presented to your employer before beginning employment.

What are the most commonly used forms of identification?
A social security card or birth certificate along with a driver's license will be accepted.

How do I get paid?
You will complete a timesheet in banner self service and submit it online for your supervisor to approve.  Instructions for completing your timesheet (pdf).  If you do not submit your timesheet online you will need to complete a manual timesheet in ink and have your supervisor sign off on the hours and send it in on your behalf. 

Once I have completed all of the necessary forms, when can I expect my first paycheck?
It usually takes a month before you get your first paycheck. Pay periods run twice a month. Therefore, if you start work August 16th, you will get your first check on September 16th. This check will be for the time you worked August 16-31.