Eligibility Requirements

Be a High School Graduate

To be eligible for aid, students must have a high school diploma or its equivalent or have a certificate indicating they have completed a home-study program recognized by their home state.

Be Enrolled in an Approved Degree Program

Students must be enrolled in an approved degree-seeking program to be eligible for any financial aid from the College. Students studying in an approved study abroad program are eligible for financial aid from the College. (Details on aid during study abroad.)

Credit Hours

Undergraduate students must register for at least twelve credit hours each semester in order to receive a full financial aid award package. Undergraduates who receive prior approval from the Dean of Students Office to take a less than full-time course load may have their financial aid award reduced as required by federal regulations and institutional policies.

Be a U.S. Citizen or an Eligible Non-Citizen

Students must be United States citizens or classified as eligible non-citizens in order to be eligible for federal, state, and College financial assistance. Students must fit one of the following categories in order to be considered eligible non-citizens:

Citizen not born in United States
  • Certificate of Citizenship (must have student's name, certificate number and the date the certificate was issued.)
  • Certificate of Naturalization (must have student's name, certificate number, Alien Registration Number, name of the court, and the date where naturalization occurred.)
  • Certificate of Birth Abroad (must have embossed seal "United States of America" and "State Department".
  • U.S. Passport
Non-citizen National
  • U.S. Passport (must be stamped "Non-citizen National")
Permanent Resident
  • Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551 - "Green Card") or the Alien Registration Receipt Card (Form I-151)
  • Foreign Passport (must be stamped "processed for I-551" with expiration date)
  • I-94 (must be stamped "Processed for I-551" with expiration date or "Temporary Form I-551" with appropriate information filled in)
Have a Valid Social Security Number

Students must have a valid Social Security Number to receive financial aid. Exceptions to this rule are students from the Republic of the Marshall Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, or the Republic of Palau.

Be Registered with the Selective Service

Male students between the ages of 18 and 25 must be registered with Selective Service to be eligible for financial aid.

Not in Default on a Federal Loan or Owe a Refund on a Grant

To be eligible for financial assistance, students must not be in default on any federal loan nor owe any refund on a Federal Pell Grant or Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant.

Not Have a Drug Conviction

Students must not have been convicted of violating any federal or state law related to the possession or sale of drugs. Students who are convicted must notify Student Financial Services. They may lose their eligibility for Title IV financial assistance and may be required to pay back any aid they received prior to their conviction.

Demonstrate Satisfactory Academic Progress

Students must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress, according to the standards and practices of the College. Students who fail to maintain satisfactory progress may not receive federal Title IV assistance or state and College need-based grants and scholarships. If your time at the College extends beyond 8 regular semesters, you will not be awarded any College grant funds. You will be able to receive federal loans and, if you are eligible, the Pell grant for two additional semesters (a total of 10 semesters).