Eligibility Requirements

Be a High School Graduate

To be eligible for aid, students must have a high school diploma or its equivalent, or have a certificate indicating they have completed a home-study program recognized by their home state.

Be Enrolled in an Approved Degree Program

Students must be enrolled in an approved degree-seeking program to be eligible for any financial aid from the College.

Credit Hours

Graduate students must register at least half time and for a minimum of six credit or non-topical/research/thesis hours each semester during the academic year to be eligible for federal financial aid.

Be a U.S. Citizen or an Eligible Non-Citizen

Students must be United States citizens or classified as eligible non-citizens in order to be eligible for federal, state, and College financial assistance. Students must fit one of the following categories in order to be considered eligible non-citizens:

Citizen not born in United States
  • Certificate of Citizenship (must have student's name, certificate number and the date the certificate was issued)
  • Certificate of Naturalization (must have student's name, certificate number, Alien Registration Number, name of the court and the date where naturalization occurred)
  • Certificate of Birth Abroad (must have embossed seal 'United States of America" and "State Department")
  • U.S. Passport
Non-citizen National
  • U.S. Passport (must be stamped "Non-citizen National")
Permanent Resident
  • "Permanent Resident Card"(Form I-551), or the "Alien Registration Receipt Card"(Form I-151)
  • Foreign Passport (must be stamped"processed for I-551" with expiration date)
  • I-94 (must be stamped "Processed for I-551 with expiration date, or Temporary Form I-551," with appropriate information filled in)
Have a Valid Social Security Number

Students must have a valid Social Security number to receive financial aid. Exceptions to this rule are students from the Republic of the Marshall Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, or the Republic of Palau.

Be Registered with the Selective Service

Male students between the ages of 18 and 25 must be registered with Selective Service to be eligible for financial aid.

Not in Default on a Loan or Owe a Refund on a Grant

To be eligible for financial assistance, students must not be in default on a Federal Perkins Loan, Federal Stafford Loan, Federal Supplemental Loan for Students, or Federal Direct Loan, nor owe any refund on a Federal Pell Grant or Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant.

Not Have a Drug Conviction

Students must not have been convicted of violating any federal or state law related to the possession or sale of drugs. Students who are convicted must notify Student Financial Services. They may lose their eligibility for Title IV financial assistance and may be required to pay back any aid they received prior to their conviction.