Resources for... William & Mary
William & Mary W&M menu close William & Mary

Apply as a Continuing Undergraduate Student

For continuing students, we require the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). To receive full consideration for aid, you must submit the form by April 15.

  • Apply at
  • The FAFSA is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, you should not have to pay anyone to submit this on your behalf.
  • Remember that both a parent and the student must sign the FAFSA electronically using their FSA User ID and password.  All corrections likewise must be signed by both a parent and the student.
  • If you do not have an FSA User ID and password, you can obtain or reset yours on the FSA ID site.  You could also print out and submit the signature page and mail it to the address FAFSA provides you. However please be aware that mailing the FAFSA to be processed manually with lengthening the time it takes for William & Mary to receive your FAFSA.  The preferred method of submission is using the FAFSA on the Web portal.
  • We strongly encourage that you utilize the IRS Data Retrieval Tool when completing the FAFSA.
  • The FAFSA was available starting on October 1, 2021, for the 2022-23 academic year and will be filed using prior prior tax year data (for 2022-23, that means you will submit using your 2020 tax data).
  • Our federal school code is 003705.

If you have not previously done so, we urge you to obtain an FSA User ID and Password, you can obtain or reset yours on the FSA ID site If you are a dependent student, at least one of your parents will also need to obtain an FSA User ID and password. Your FSA User ID and Password can be used to make any needed FAFSA corrections and to monitor your status with federal aid programs. You will also be able to use it to sign certain Master Promissory Notes for loans.

Applications received after the April 15th deadline WILL NOT be guaranteed grant consideration. Funds are LIMITED, so apply on time!

There are several records you, ideally, should have on hand when you file the FAFSA. These are not necessarily documents that we will need for our review, but what you need to reference while completing the FAFSA. Do Not send forms or documents unless William & Mary has requested them. These are documents that will assist you with answering the FAFSA questions.

  1. Your federal income tax return and, depending on your status as a dependent or independent student, that of your parents or spouse. Do not send state tax returns.  Even if you filed electronically, you must still sign the copy of the taxes that you send to us.
  2. Other records such as W-2 forms, business and farm records, and bank statements.
  3. Leave and Earnings Statement for military personnel.

*Note: If the above records are not available when you file the FAFSA, you should use estimates. Do not miss the deadlines!

When your FAFSA has been processed, you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR). This is a summary of the information submitted to the processor. Please review it and if you notice mistakes, make any needed corrections. DO NOT mail the SAR to the W&M Financial Aid Office. Instead, keep it for your records. We will receive the same information electronically, assuming that you designated us as one of the schools to receive your data. Questions concerning your SAR should be directed to the federal processor at (319) 337-5665 or (800) 433-3243.