Close menu Resources for... William & Mary
William & Mary W&M menu close William & Mary

Financial Aid for Health Insurance

Effective July 2006, William & Mary requires its newly admitted full-time students (undergraduate and graduate) to be covered by adequate health insurance coverage throughout the school year. William & Mary has contracted with a vendor that provides a student sickness and injury insurance plan that can provide affordable health care coverage. Unless the student has existing health coverage and submits a waiver request that is subsequently approved, the student will be required to enroll in this University-sponsored plan.

All full-time undergraduate and graduate students admitted for Fall 2006 or terms thereafter are required to purchase the University-sponsored student injury and sickness insurance plan unless they submit a waiver request that is subsequently approved. A waiver for health insurance enrollment must be submitted every academic year.

Visit the Student Health Insurance website for information about the health insurance requirement and when to complete the Student Health Insurance Waiver Request.

If you have any questions, please contact [[trsike, Trista Sikes]], Student Insurance Coordinator at the Student Health Center, at (757) 221-2978 or send an email.

Can financial aid be used for the cost of the required health insurance?

Yes, student and parent loans are available. If you have not applied for financial aid, you need to submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at Once you have submitted the FAFSA, you may be eligible for a student loan to pay for your health insurance coverage. William & Mary will enroll you and add the cost of the student insurance to your student account so that your financial aid can be applied towards it.

Once you have the charge for health insurance on your student account, please contact your counselor to request that they increase your cost of attendance budget (COA).  We will then increase your COA by the amount of the student health insurance. If you have already used your full student loan eligibility and are dependent upon your parents, they can borrow using a PLUS Loan to pay for the coverage. If you are independent, you can borrow via a private educational loan. Contact the Financial Aid Office at 757-221-2420 or [[aid, Financial Aid]] if you have additional questions.