CARES Act Student Emergency Aid Fund Reporting
The U.S. Department of Education requires institutions to report on the receipt and usage of their allocation from the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund – Emergency Financial Aid Grants to Students (HEERF). The report must be posted on the institution’s primary website and contain the most current information from the date the institution received its allocation.
W&M received the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund - Emergency Financial Aid Grants to Students (HEERF) on May 5, 2020. The initial report should be posted within 30 days after that allocation and updated every 45 days thereafter. Updated guidance from The Department of Education as of 8/31/2020 as reporting frequency to be no later than 10 days after the end of each Fiscal Quarter (September 30, 2020 - December 31, 2020 - March 31, 2021 - June 30, 2021).
Fourth 2020/2021 Quarter, as of 6/30/2021 Report (final)
Required Report Items
An acknowledgment that the institution signed and returned the Department the Certification and Agreement and the assurance that the institution has used, or intends to use, no less than 50 percent of the funds received under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act to provide Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students.
- W&M acknowledges this has taken place
The total amount of funds that the institution will receive or has received from the Department under the institution's Certification and Agreement [for] Emergency Financial Aid Grants to Students.
- W&M has been allocated, and received, $1,974,134 in Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund - Emergency Financial Aid Grants to Students (HEERF).
The total amount of Emergency Financial Aid Grants distributed to students under Section 18044(a)(1) of the CARES Act as of the date of submission (i.e., as of the initial 30-day Report and every 45 days thereafter).
- As of 6/30/2021 - $1,974,134 has been disbursed to students from this program.
The estimated total number of students at the institution eligible to participate in programs under SEction 484 in Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965 and thus eligible to receive Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students under Section 18044(a)(1) of the CARES Act.
- As of 6/30/2021 - 4,087 students meet the Title IV/Section 484 eligibility criteria.
The Total number of students who have received Emergency Financial Aid Grant to students under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act.
- As of 6/30/2021 - 2,634 students have received a grant from this program.
The method(s) used by the institution to determine which students receive Emergency Financial Aid Grants and how much they would receive under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act.
- Please refer to our CARES Act funding FAQ's page
Any instructions, directions, or guidance provided by the institution to students concerning the Emergency Financial Aid Grants.
- The following email was sent to our two awarding groups on 5/7/2020.
- Students were instructed to complete the following CARES Act verification form. The form was specific to the student's eligibility group and accessible via two-factor identity authentication.
- Example of verification form:
- A follow-up email was sent on 5/18/2020 to students who had not yet completed the verification form in the W&M CARES Act funding portal.
- A reminder text message was sent from the Dean of Students Office on 5/19/2020
- W&M records indicate your eligibility for the CARES Act grant. Please complete this verification form by May 21 if you have not done so.
- Beginning May 25, 2020, students have been advised to complete the Dean of Students Emergency Funding process for consideration for CARES Act funding.
CARES Act Institutional Funding
The Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act allocated $1,974,134 in institutional support. William & Mary used these funds to offset the cost of providing refunds to students for Spring 2020 housing. The link below is William & Mary’s report on these funds as required by the Department of Education.
Quarter Ending 9/30/2020 (Final)
- June 4, 2020
- July 17, 2020
- August 31, 2020
- September 30, 2020
- December 31, 2020
- March 31, 2021