The Endowment Association, Inc., of William & Mary published Their Majesties' Royall Colledge-William & Mary in the Seventeenth and Eighteenth Centuries, written by Dr. Jack E. Morpurgo '38, professor of American studies at the University of Leeds, England.
William & Mary launched the largest fund-raising program in its history-the three-year Campaign for the College-to raise $19 million for support of faculty professional development, student financial aid and enrichment programs throughout the College.
The newly-created Virginia Research Center for Archaeology was located at William & Mary. The Commonwealth of Virginia charged the center with the responsibility of overseeing all archaeological research for the state.
"The Common Glory," the nation's second oldest historical outdoor drama, closed after the bicentennial season. After playing 28 summers, the production staged about 1,550 performances on the university campus before more than 1.7-million people.
A Presidential Debate, the third of the 1976 campaign, between President Gerald R. Ford and Democratic nominee Jimmy Carter, was held in Phi Beta Kappa Memorial Hall.
The United Chapters of Phi Beta Kappa met at William & Mary to celebrate the 200th anniversary of the founding of Phi Beta Kappa by students at W&M on December 5, 1776.
The Virginia Shakespeare Festival began its first season at William & Mary in Phi Beta Kappa Memorial Hall under the sponsorship of the university.
The Society of the Alumni published the first issue of the William & Mary Magazine.
William & Mary celebrated the successful completion of its first capital campaign in history. The three-year project resulted in more than $20 million in private gifts to the university.
The Virginia Institute of Marine Science at Gloucester Point was fully integrated into William & Mary.
William & Mary dedicated the Marshall-Wythe School of Law building, the first facility designed and constructed in the history of the law school, which celebrated its 200th anniversary in 1979.
William & Mary dedicated the Randolph Residences, a new student village complex of six buildings that would accommodate 238 students.
Charles, Prince of Wales and heir to the English throne, visited William & Mary and received the university's first Honorary Fellowship. The Prince visited the President's House, was entertained for lunch in the Great Hall of the Sir Christopher Wren Building and concluded his campus visit by addressing a capacity audience in Phi Beta Kappa Memorial Hall.
Earl Gregg Swem Library received its one-millionth volume, a gift from Mr. and Mrs. Malvern H. Omohundro, titled Windsor Castle, Picturesque and Descriptive. Prince Charles dedicated the book during his visit.
William & Mary dedicated Chancellors Hall, formerly known as Old Rogers Hall, which had been renovated as the new home of the School of Business Administration.
The Board of Visitors established the Institute of Bill of Rights Law at the Marshall-Wythe School of Law with a multimillion-dollar gift from the Alfred Wilson and Mary I.W. Lee Trust.
The Thomas Harriot Observatory, named for an Elizabethan astronomer and scientist, was dedicated at William Small Physical Laboratory.
1983, January 20
Fire nearly destroyed Jefferson Hall, but all 185 students escaped unharmed. It was later rebuilt within its old brick walls.
William & Mary Hall served as the International Press Center for the Summit of Industrialized Nations, which brought together for a three-day meeting the leaders of the United States, Japan, France, Germany, Italy, Great Britain and the European economic community.
William & Mary dedicated the first phase of the Joseph L. and Margaret Muscarelle Museum of Art, built entirely with private funds.
Anne Dobie Peebles of Sussex County, a 1944 alumna of William & Mary, was elected the first woman rector in W&M's history.
William & Mary dedicated the new Watermen's Hall at the Virginia Institute of Marine Science at Gloucester Point. The $4-million building will serve as a marine science research and administrative center for VIMS.
William & Mary dedicated Trinkle Hall, renovated at a cost of $1.48 million, to serve as a multi-purpose student center. Completed in 1926 and named for a former governor of Virginia, Trinkle Hall had been taken out of service in 1971.
Paul R. Verkuil, Class of 1961, was named president of the university, succeeding Thomas A. Graves, Jr., who resigned after almost 14 years in office. Dr. Verkuil served as dean of the School of Law at Tulane University.
President Graves left William & Mary to become director of the Henry Francis du Pont Winterthur Museum near Wilmington, Del. Dr. George R. Healy, provost, was named acting president until Dr. Verkuil's arrival at the university in July.
Students returned to Jefferson Hall after a two-year $2.81-million reconstruction of the dormitory, which was nearly destroyed by fire two years earlier.
Paul R. Verkuil was inaugurated president in ceremonies held in William & Mary Hall. Judge John Minor Wisdom of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth District Court administered the oath of office.
1987, February 8
Warren E. Burger, retiring Chief Justice of the United States, was installed as the 20th chancellor of William & Mary, saying that "I have received no honor that I cherish more." To mark the occasion, the Society of the Alumni presented a badge and chain of office to the new chancellor.
Upon her retirement after 13 years on the Board of Visitors, including three as rector of the university, Anne Dobie Peebles presented to William & Mary the first badge and chain for the Office of the Rector.
Expansions of the Muscarelle Museum of Art and the Earl Gregg Swem Library were completed.
Chancellor Warren E. Burger and Harvard University Professor Henry Rosovsky, a member of the Class of 1949, were named to head the Commission on the Tercentenary Observances of William & Mary.
Five Democratic presidential candidates debated in Phi Beta Kappa Memorial Hall. Debating were Sen. Albert Gore of Tennessee, the Rev. Jesse Jackson, former Sen. Gary Hart of Colorado, Gov. Michael Dukakis of Massachusetts and Congressman Richard Gephardt of Missouri.
A William & Mary delegation headed by President Paul R. Verkuil, Rector Hays T. Watkins and Chancellor Warren E. Burger joined English dignitaries in Westminster Hall in London to commemorate the 300th anniversary of the accession of King William III and Queen Mary II to the throne of England, the result of the "Glorious Revolution." Other delegates included Edward Grimsley, president of the Society of the Alumni, and Thaddeus W. Tate, Jr., director of the Institute of Early American History and Culture.
The Commonwealth Center for the Study of American Culture, focusing on research in American history and culture from 1815 to the present, opened.
George M. DeShazo, Jr., a senior from Williamsburg, was named William & Mary's first Rhodes Scholar.
William & Mary became the first university to compete in the Epson Ivy Bowl in Yokohama, defeating a football team comprised of Japanese all-stars, 73-3.
The celebration of the 300th anniversary of the accession of King William III and Queen Mary II continued at William & Mary at Charter Day, when Princess Margriet of the Netherlands received the university's second Honorary Fellowship.
William & Mary dedicated the Wendy and Emery Reves Center for International Studies, endowed by a $3-million gift from Wendy Reves.
William & Mary announced "The Campaign for the Fourth Century," the largest fund-raising effort in its history-a four-year effort to raise $150 million-scheduled to culminate in 1993 at the 300th anniversary celebration of the university's founding.
W&M rededicated Ewell Hall, home of the Department of Music, which had been renovated and expanded.
Construction was completed on a new $6-million physical education and recreation complex, including the $4.8-million physical education recreation building and the $1.2-million Anheuser-Busch mini-stadium for intramural and intercollegiate athletics.
The Board of Visitors approved the Thomas Jefferson Program in Public Policy for the study of ethics, law, economics and government.
William & Mary announced a $10-million gift from Walter J. Zable, Class of 1937, president and chief executive officer of the Cubic Corporation. The stadium at Cary Field was named the Walter J. Zable Stadium by the Board of Visitors.
Blow Memorial Hall was rededicated after undergoing a renovation that converted it from a physical education building into a classroom and office complex.
1991, May 23
The Association of 1775 was established by the Society of the Alumni as a special interest group for alumni and their spouses who served, or are currently serving, in the military.
President Paul R. Verkuil resigned the presidency of William & Mary to become president of the American Automobile Association.
Washington Hall was rededicated after being renovated at a cost of $1 million.
The university dedicated the Sarah Ives Gore Child Care Center and the Matoaka Arts Studio on Charter Day weekend.
1992, April 9
Timothy J. Sullivan, dean of the Marshall-Wythe School of Law, was named the 25th President of William & Mary.
1992, April 11
The Hulon Willis Association was founded by the Society of the Alumni as a special interest group for forging and strengthening ties between African-American alumni and students and William & Mary.
1992, July 4
The Society of the Alumni observed the 150th anniversary of its founding as the sixth oldest alumni organization in the country.
1992, September 12
The Lettie Pate Whitehead Evans Residences, a graduate student housing complex adjacent to the Law School, were dedicated.
1992, October 16
Timothy J. Sullivan was inaugurated as the 25th president of William & Mary.
1992, November 11
A statue of William & Mary's most prominent alumnus, Thomas Jefferson, was dedicated adjacent to Washington Hall. It was given as a Tercentenary gift to W&M by the University of Virginia, which Jefferson founded.
1993, February 8
A ceremony in the Wren Yard marked the official opening of William & Mary's Tercentenary celebration, which observed the 300th anniversary of William & Mary's founding by King William III and Queen Mary II.
1993, February 13
As part of its 300th anniversary celebration, the university observed Charter Day in William & Mary Hall. The Prince of Wales, making his second visit to the campus, brought greetings to W&M from his mother, Queen Elizabeth II of Great Britain.
1993, April 29-30
Margaret, The Lady Thatcher, former prime minister of Great Britain, was elected the university's 21st chancellor by the Board of Visitors
1993, April 29
William & Mary dedicated the University Center, a $12.5-million multi-purpose student activities building adjacent to Walter J. Zable Stadium at Cary Field.
1993, April 30
Gillian T. Cell, provost of Lafayette College, was appointed provost of William & Mary.
1993, May 16
For the first time, Commencement was held in Walter J. Zable Stadium. In attendance were entertainer Bill Cosby, the Commencement speaker; Virginia Governor L. Douglas Wilder; and former United States Chief Justice Warren E. Burger, the W&M chancellor.
1993, June 3
Queen Elizabeth II met with a William & Mary delegation of 300, led by President Sullivan, at a special reception in Drapers' Hall in London as part of the Tercentenary observance.
1993, October 13
William & Mary concluded its Tercentenary celebration at Homecoming with the dedication of two statues-one of Lord Botetourt in the Wren Yard and the other of founder and first President James Blair between Tyler and Blair halls; the unveiling of The College of William & Mary: A History, a two-volume, 1,000-page history of the university written by Thaddeus W. Tate, Ludwell H. Johnson, Susan H. Godson, Richard B. Sherman and Helen C. Walker; and a birthday party at Busch Gardens.
1993, October 13
Mark H. McCormack '51, chair of the Campaign for the Fourth Century, presented a symbolic check of $153 million to President Sullivan, marking the successful completion of the four-year fund-raising effort.
Andrew Zawacki was chosen as William & Mary's second Rhodes Scholar.
1994, February 5
Margaret, The Lady Thatcher of Finchley, former Prime Minister of Great Britain, was installed as the 21st chancellor of William & Mary, succeeding Warren E. Burger, former Chief Justice of the United States.
1994, August 22
The Board of Visitors approves the restructuring plan of the university, "Principles for Partnership."
1995, February 3
While participating in Charter Day activities, Margaret, The Lady Thatcher, chancellor of the university, became the first foreign dignitary since Winston Churchill in 1946 to address a joint session of the Virginia General Assembly.
1995, April 3
William & Mary dedicated the $3-million, 6,400-square-foot McCormack-Nagelsen Tennis Center, named for benefactors Mark H. McCormack '51 and his wife, professional tennis player Betsy Nagelsen. The center serves as the home to the Intercollegiate Tennis Association's Women's Collegiate Tennis Hall of Fame.
1995, May 14
Former President George H.W. Bush, calling William & Mary "A Place of Possibilities," delivered the commencement address in William & Mary Hall. He was the 17th President of the United States to visit the university.
1995, June 25
Warren E. Burger, 20th Chancellor of the William & Mary, died in Washington, D.C.
1995, October 27
The university dedicated the $9.35-million Tercentenary Hall, a state-of-the-art classroom building for the geology, applied science and computer science departments.
1996, April 27
Gymnast Scott McCall won an NCAA national championship for his excellent performance on the steel rings.
1996, April 12
A gift to the university of the papers of Warren E. Burger, Chief Justice of the United States and 20th Chancellor of William & Mary, was announced by Chancellor Margaret Thatcher.
1996, October 30
Malvern H. Omohundro, Jr., '25 and his wife Elizabeth endowed the Institute of Early American History and Culture with a multi-million dollar gift. The institute was renamed in their honor.
1996, November 15
First constructed in 1935, James Blair Hall was rededicated after a $5.2-million renovation.
1996, December 1
Hans Christian Ackerman became the third William & Mary student in eight years to win a Rhodes Scholarship.
1997, January 20
Under the direction of James I. Armstrong, Jr., the William & Mary Choir performed during President Bill Clinton's second inauguration in Washington, D.C.
William & Mary, Colonial Williamsburg, the City of Williamsburg, James City County, Eastern State Hospital and other community organizations launched the Crossroads Project to promote sensible development and to preserve the area's unique character.
1997, April 25
While dedicating a new $12-million research facility at the Virginia Institute of Marine Science, William & Mary celebrated what at that time was the largest gift in the school's history-a recently announced $20-million commitment to VIMS by John and Ann Kauffman of Topping, Va.
1997, July 11
Archaeologists excavated artifacts near the Sir Christopher Wren Building related to a structure that existed during the Middle Plantation period in the third quarter of the 17th century-before William & Mary was chartered in 1693 and before the City of Williamsburg was founded in 1699.
1997, September 23
Tercentenary Hall was renamed McGlothlin-Street Hall in honor of two Bristol, Va., families for their devotion and generosity to William & Mary.
1997, October 25
The Society of the Alumni dedicated its expanded and renovated Alumni Center during Homecoming weekend festivities.
1998, February 7
The first Thomas Jefferson Prize in Natural Philosophy was presented to Jennifer M. Johnson at Charter Day Convocation. The faculty will present a deserving undergraduate student this prize endowed by the trustees of the Thomas Jefferson Memorial Foundation of Charlottesville, Va.
1998, April 24
Groundbreaking was held for a $30-million expansion and renovation of Earl Gregg Swem Library.
1998, July 11
Virginia named William & Mary Chancellor Margaret, The Lady Thatcher, an honorary citizen of the Commonwealth of Virginia, only the third person in Virginia's history to receive such an honor.
1998, November 24
T. C. Clarke '22 bequeathed $13.5 million of his estate to William & Mary, the largest cash bequest in the history of W&M.
1998, December 24-25
An ice storm ravaged the campus on Christmas Eve. Ninety-percent of the campus trees were damaged and much research was lost due to a 36-hour power outage.
1999, January 6
The Crossroads Group unveiled its preliminary vision for 1,000 acres of land under development around the Monticello Avenue and Route 199 corridor-land adjacent to the College Woods.
1999, January 30
Mills E. Godwin, Jr., a 1935 alumnus of the university who served two terms as governor of Virginia died. Godwin coined the phrase "alma mater of a nation" and was instrumental in the 1960s expansion of the William & Mary.
1999, February 27
Virginia lawmakers approved an $800,000 appropriation for the renovation of the aging science facility Millington Hall.
The Borgenicht Peace Initiatives' conference on Bosnia attracted policymakers and academicians from around the world.
1999, March 20
William & Mary dedicated Plumeri Park, a new $1.8-million baseball stadium. The park was named for former Tribe second baseman Joe Plumeri '66 who underwrote the cost of the facility.
Internet magazine Yahoo! ranked William & Mary among the nation's top 100 "wired" institutions, proclaiming "the second-oldest college in the nation is high-tech."
In the first partnership of its kind between the State Department and a university, President Timothy J. Sullivan signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Edward W. Gnehm, director general of the U.S. Foreign Service, to formalize the creation of the Pamela Harriman Foreign Service Fellowship Program.
1999, May 1
William & Mary participates in the City of Williamsburg's Tercentenary Celebration by hosting an event on the steps of the Wren Building at which four students presented orations on the history of the town and gown relationship.
1999, June 30
A new record is set for philanthropic support by raising $31.1 million-almost triple the previous record set in 1990-1991.
1999, September 16-17
Hurricane Floyd, bringing with it 17 inches of rain and winds in excess of 55 miles per hour, uprooted more than 30 trees campus-wide. Power outages and flooding closed the campus for two days.
W&M 2010: Exploring William & Mary's Future was launched. President Timothy J. Sullivan encouraged everyone in the university community to participate in a conversation about what W&M must do to prepare for students representing the next echo of the baby boom, in the year 2010.
William & Mary's two newest Rhodes Scholars, Paul Larsen '99 and Eileen Cardillo '99, were honored for their extraordinary achievements. The two new scholars brought to a total of five, the number of Rhodes Scholars graduated from the university since 1988.