Our strategic plan emphasizes our need to break boundaries in several areas. Among those is global engagement. We recognize the critical importance of the expanded flow of information and cultural perspectives that know no boundaries. We will increase our global connections at all levels – students, faculty and staff – and across all programs. As an integral part of that strategy, we will work to expand our international reputation for academic excellence so that we can forge stronger and more effective global partnerships. W&M enrolls students from more than 75 countries. Among all public universities, W&M ranks second in terms of percentage of undergraduates studying abroad, and more than 50 percent of our undergraduates participate in study abroad or institutionally supported international research. On every continent, W&M is engaged in collaborative research, innovative teaching and community engagement to promote understanding and to solve problems. We will do even more in each of those areas.
Our seven challenges are as follows:
- Be a leader among liberal arts universities.
- Build and support a more fully diverse W&M community.
- Foster stronger global perspectives and connections.
- Develop an ever more engaging campus experience that inspires a lifelong commitment to W&M.
- Implement a business plan that maximizes revenue sources and ensures transparent resource allocation in support of university priorities and needs.
- Provide the administrative resources and infrastructure required for a university in the 21st century.
- Explain and promote W&M through an even more effective communications structure and strategy.
In short, we are a leading liberal arts university, a welcoming community, globally engaged, connected to graduates for a lifetime, appropriately staffed and equipped for the 21st century, in touch with our community via a wide range of media and resting on a solid financial foundation capable of funding our aspirations.