Passenger Van Safety
University employees, students and volunteers must comply with the university Vehicle Use Policy when driving a vehicle on university business for a university-related activity, as defined in the policy. This appendix describes additional safety precautions applicable to the operation of vans, as defined below. It applies to vans owned by the university as well as rental or personally-owned vans, all to the extent provided in the Vehicle Use Policy. Please be aware that leased vans cannot be operated or used in Canada.
For the purpose of this appendix, van refers to a full-size passenger van, including conversion vans. Sports utility vehicles (SUVs), pick-up trucks, and mini-vans are not considered vans, but their use remains subject to the Vehicle Use Policy. Mini-vans are vans (that can look like SUVs) with seating for no more than 8 passengers, but note that some conversion vans, which are covered by this Appendix, accommodate only 8 passengers.
All van drivers must comply with the requirements of the Vehicle Use Policy, including the Driver Conduct regulations. The policy requires that all drivers of vans who are driving on university business or for a university related activity complete the Van Safety Training Course, unless exempted by a supervisor. This applies to university vans as well as vans that are owned by employees or other individuals, as well as rental vans. In addition, van drivers must:
- Be at least 19 years of age or older, with a minimum of two years driving experience; provided, that drivers may be 18 years of age if the trip is within local limits and does not require driving on interstates or local Route 199.
- Drive only within the Commonwealth of Virginia or within a 250 mile radius of Williamsburg unless specific written authorization is granted by the appropriate university official.
- Not drive between 10:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. without permission of the appropriate university official.
- Take care loading passengers and equipment. Vans may not be used to tow trailers. Overhead (roof-loaded) loads may not be carried.
- Keep headlights on at all times while driving.
- Complete the attached van operations checklist, and ensure that copy is available in the van.
- Execute a driver authorization form (Faculty/Staff Driver Authorization Form (PDF) and Student Driver Authorization Form (PDF)), if required by the Policy.