The policy regarding university operations in the event of seriously inclement weather conditions (usually heavy snow or ice) is as follows:
- The university will remain open under most reasonably foreseeable weather conditions, especially during periods when classes are in session.
- If weather conditions are such as to make it impossible to maintain a reasonable level of academic activity, the university will be closed. Such announcements will cancel all classes and work obligations for everyone except those personnel identified as essential to maintenance, security and health services.
- The person charged by the President to make such decisions regarding weather is the Provost. For information regarding closings, call University News & Media at (757) 221-1766.
- The decision to close the university in full or in part will be given as soon as possible during the morning (if weather develops overnight) to the W&M Police Department.
- Note: this policy is understood as affecting the Williamsburg campus only. The Virginia Institute of Marine Science will announce closures of the Gloucester campus.
- Decisions to close will be given to the following radio stations:
- WXGM-AM 1420
- WXGM-FM 99.1
- WHRO-FM 90.3
- WHRV-FM 89.5
- WJCD-AM 92.1
- WJCD-FM 107.7
- WKCK-FM 106.1
- WKUS-FM 105.3
- WNIS-AM 790
- WOWI-FM 102.9
- WPYA-FM 93.7
- WROX-FM 96.1
- WTAR-AM 850
- WBTJ-FM 106.5
- WCVE-FM 88.9
- WDYL-FM 101.1
- WKHK-FM 101.5
- WKLR-FM 96.5
- WMXB-FM 103.7
- WRNL-AM 910
- WRVA-AM 1140
- WRVQ-FM 94.5
- WRXL-FM 102.1
- WTVR-FM 98.1
- WXGI-AM 950
- WCMS-AM 1050
- WGH-AM 1310
- WGH-FM 97.3
- WFOG-AM 1050
- WPTE - FM 94.9
- WXEZ-FM 94.1
- WXMM-FM 1050
- WWDE-FM 101.3
- Among television stations reporting closings will be:
Norfolk - WVEC Channel 13, WTKR Channel 3 Portsmouth - WAVY Channel 10
Richmond - WWBT Channel 12; WTVR Channel 6; WRIC Channel 8
Information on closings may also be obtained by calling 221-1SNO or 221-1766.
The following detailed regulations are taken directly from the Commonwealth's "inclement weather policy" and refer to classified employees only, unless otherwise noted.
A. Employees absent due to an authorized closing for an entire shift will be paid for such absence. To qualify for such payment, employees must work the scheduled work day before and the scheduled work day after such closing, or work either of such days and be on approved leave with pay for the other such work day. Employees absent both of such work days may apply accumulated leave as appropriate to the day of closing if they are otherwise eligible for such leave.
B. Employees identified by the university as being required to work during such authorized closings shall be referred to as "essential personnel" with respect to this policy. Essential personnel will be credited with compensatory leave for the hours worked during such closing.
C. "Essential personnel" required to work in excess of the hours in their normally scheduled shift will be paid overtime for such excess time worked unless compensatory time for those hours can be taken during the same work week.
Partial Shift Closings
A. When inclement weather conditions result in authorized changes in the work schedule, such as late openings or early closings, employees will be paid for such authorized absences. To qualify for such payment, employees must work all or part of the work schedule not affected by the authorized change.
B. "Essential personnel" required to work during such periods of authorized closings will be credited with compensatory leave for hours worked during such periods.
C. "Essential personnel" required to work additional time will be compensated as provided in C above (All Day Closings).
Closings on Employee's Scheduled Day Off
Employees whose scheduled day off falls on a day when their work area is closed will not be credited with compensatory leave.
When inclement weather conditions create transportation difficulties that result in late arrival of employees to work, such lost time need not be applied to leave balances, nor should the employees otherwise experience loss of pay, if in the judgment of the agency head such lost time was justifiable in view of weather conditions.
It should be noted that hourly employees may only be compensated for actual hours worked.