COVID-19 is one of the many illnesses that the university helps students and employees manage on a daily basis while providing the premier in-person academic and campus experience that distinguishes William & Mary among the best universities in the world.
Policies at a Glance
- Masks are optional in most indoor and outdoor spaces on campus. Masking is encouraged in large crowds.
- COVID-19 vaccinations and boosters are strongly encouraged for all students, faculty and staff at William & Mary. Visit Vaccinate Virginia for local vaccination sites in the Commonwealth.
Managing COVID-19 as an Employee
- The CDC calls for any COVID-19-positive person to isolate for at least five days. Visit Isolation and Precautions for People with COVID-19 for more information.
- Do not attend work, classes or events at William & Mary for at least five days or as long as you are sick. Follow the university's sick-time policies.
- Virginia no longer offers Public Health Emergency Leave (PHEL). If you are out because of a COVID-19 diagnosis, please use sick or other appropriate leave.
- If you feel able to work and your position allows you to work remotely, please coordinate with your supervisor, dean or chair as appropriate.
- Please visit the University Human Resources website or email [[AskHR]].
If You Are a Close Contact of a Person with COVID-19
- William & Mary no longer conducts contact tracing. If you are advised that you are a close contact of someone who has tested positive for COVID-19, the next steps depend on your vaccination status. Visit the CDC’s Isolation and Exposure Calculator for information.
- Current vaccinated and boostered employees do not need to quarantine if they remain asymptomatic.