As a "Public Ivy," William & Mary fills a critical niche, offering the intensive educational experience of the leading private institutions at significantly less cost to Virginians. A W&M education produces graduates who think rigorously and synthesize knowledge from various fields, work creatively to solve problems, communicate effectively and make a difference as leaders in existing and emerging fields, making W&M a vital resource for Virginia and the world.
We promise to connect you with world-class faculty.
- W&M is consistently ranked among the top five public universities for undergraduate teaching by U.S. News & World Report.
- At 12 students per professor, W&M has the lowest student-faculty ratio of any top-ranked public university. Nearly half of our classes have fewer than 20 students.
- More faculty at W&M have earned the Commonwealth of Virginia's Outstanding Faculty Award, the state's highest teaching honor, than faculty at any other university.
We promise the opportunity to do great things with great people.
- Diversity at W&M means celebrating a vibrant academic and social community that represents the widest possible range of ideas, backgrounds and experiences.
- W&M is among the top 10 universities in the country for community service engagement, active student government, being LGBTQ-friendly and encouraging race and class interaction. It's also listed in the top 10 colleges beloved by their students, according to the Princeton Review in 2016.
- You can't argue with W&M — its debate team is spectacular. In 2015, Aaron Murphy '15 was the top parliamentary debater in the country, and the first black man to earn the title. When Jerusalem Demsas '17 won the distinction in 2017, she was the first black woman so awarded. The entire team was ranked best in the country in 2014.
- With more than 450 campus clubs and organizations, 23 varsity sports, 45 club sports, 18 intramural activities and more than 50 wellness and fitness classes per week, staying active and engaged at W&M isn't an afterthought; it's a way of life.
- Three W&M students were named 2016 Goldwater Scholars, the prestigious national STEM award. Only eight Goldwater scholarships were awarded in all of Virginia.
We promise you can achieve your dreams.
- W&M is the only Virginia institution featured as a "College That Creates Futures," according to the Princeton Review.
- Business Insider ranks W&M among the top five smartest public universities in the country.
- W&M is one of the top public universities for percentage of alumni who go on to earn doctoral degrees, according to National Science Foundation data.
- W&M has the second-highest percentage of students studying abroad of any public university in the U.S., as ranked by the Institute of International Education.
We promise a legacy of distinction.
- Just take a look at former "Daily Show" host Jon Stewart '84, Academy-Award-nominated actress Glenn Close '74, Head Coach of the 2015 World Cup champion U.S. Women's National Soccer Team Jill Ellis '88 and Pittsburgh Steelers Head Coach Mike Tomlin '95, the youngest head coach to win a Super Bowl.
- Hulu co-founder Beth Comstock '82, a biology major, is now vice chair at General Electric and one of Fortune's "most powerful women in business." Jen Psaki '00, a sociology major, is a former White House communications director.
- With former FBI Director James Comey '82, a double major of chemistry and religion, and recent NASA Chief Scientist Ellen Stofan '83, a geology major, W&M alumni lead the way in national security and interplanetary exploration.
- Robert Gates '65, L.H.D. '98 is the only person to have served as Secretary of Defense for two U.S. presidents from different political parties. Gates currently serves as W&M's Chancellor.
- Three U.S. presidents – Thomas Jefferson, James Monroe and John Tyler – went to William & Mary, while George Washington received his surveyor's license from W&M and was its first American Chancellor.