As a "Public Ivy," William & Mary fills a critical niche, offering the intensive educational experience of the leading private institutions at significantly less cost to Virginians. A W&M education produces graduates who think rigorously and synthesize knowledge from various fields, work creatively to solve problems, communicate effectively and make a difference as leaders in existing and emerging fields, making W&M a vital resource for Virginia and the world.
We promise to connect you with world-class faculty.
- In 2015, W&M ranked as the top public university in the country for undergraduate teaching, according to U.S. News & World Report.
- At 12 students per professor, W&M has the lowest student-faculty ratio of any top-ranked public university. Nearly half of our classes have fewer than 20 students.
- More faculty at W&M have earned the Commonwealth of Virginia's Outstanding Faculty Award, the state's highest teaching honor, than faculty at any other university.
We promise the opportunity to do great things with great people.
- Diversity at W&M means celebrating a vibrant academic and social community that represents the widest possible range of ideas, backgrounds and experiences.
- William & Mary is the only public university to be recognized in 2015 with a rating above 90 for both Academics and Campus Life by the Princeton Review.
- W&M's undergraduate team won the 2015 grand prize at iGEM, the "World Cup of Science," and was the only team from North America to make it to the finals in 2015.
- With more than 450 campus clubs and organizations, 23 varsity sports, 45 club sports, 18 intramural activities and more than 50 wellness and fitness classes per week, staying active and engaged at W&M isn't an afterthought; it's a way of life.
- Three W&M students were named 2016 Goldwater Scholars, the prestigious national STEM award. Only eight Goldwater scholarships were awarded in all of Virginia.
We promise you can achieve your dreams.
- W&M is the only Virginia institution featured as a "College That Creates Futures," according to the Princeton Review.
- Business Insider ranked W&M as the third-smartest public university and the top-ranked school in Virginia.
- W&M is one of the top public universities for percentage of alumni who go on to earn doctoral degrees, according to National Science Foundation data.
- W&M has the second-highest percentage of students studying abroad of any public university in the U.S., as ranked by the Institute of International Education.
We promise a legacy of distinction.
- Just take a look at former "Daily Show" host Jon Stewart '84, Academy-Award-nominated actress Glenn Close '74, Head Coach of the 2015 World Cup champion U.S. Women's National Soccer Team Jill Ellis '88 and Pittsburgh Steelers Head Coach Mike Tomlin '95, the youngest head coach to win a Super Bowl.
- Alumna and Hulu co-founder Beth Comstock '82, a biology major, is now vice chair at General Electric and one of Fortune's "most powerful women in business." Jen Psaki '00, a sociology major, is a former White House communications director.
- With FBI Director James Comey '82, a double major of chemistry and religion, and NASA Chief Scientist Ellen Stofan '83, a geology major, W&M alumni are leading the way in national security and interplanetary exploration.
- Robert Gates '65, L.H.D. '98 is the only person to have served as Secretary of Defense for two U.S. presidents from different political parties. Gates currently serves as W&M's Chancellor.
- Three U.S. presidents – Thomas Jefferson, James Monroe and John Tyler – went to William & Mary, while George Washington received his surveyor's license from W&M and was its first American Chancellor.