Blacksmith William King obtains patent for 400 acres that includes Parnassus Site.
King leases, then deeds the property to John Nicholl, a "middling farmer."
Nicholl begins leasing 250 acres to his son John, Jr., for £5 per year.
Elder John Nicholl's will divides property between widow Barbara and four sons.
Barbara Nicholl and two of her sons convey 150-acre tract containing Parnassus Site to Andrew Nicholl of Greenbrier County.
Andrew Nicholl sells the property, including "all houses, buildings, etc.," to James Rankin for £300.
Rankin sells the 150-acre tract to Adam Rusmeisel for £130. Rusmeisel probably builds a dwelling at Parnassus Site.
Adam Rusmeisel and wife Rachel sell the farm to their son Christian for £260.
Christian Rusmeisel adds 34 acres to the farm.
Rusmeisel dwelling appears on Claudius Crozet's survey map for the Warm Springs-Harrisonburg Turnpike. House is located within boundary of Parnassus Site.
Christian Rusmeisel sells the farm, now 205 acres, to Thomas Holt. Construction of meeting house for religious and community functions marks beginning of village of Parnassus.
Thomas Holt improves property: tax assessments on buildings increase steadily, from $150 to $1,000.
Holt and wife Minerva sell 205-acre farm to merchant William Kyle but probably continue to live there until 1850.
Sudden drop of $300 in the tax assessment may indicate demolition of dwelling(?) structure. Tenants are likely living on the property.
William Kyle conveys 205-acre farm in trust to Benjamin Points for the use of his wife Felicia.
Kyle sells his mercantile business, moves to farm, and builds new dwelling worth $975 to as much as $2,000. Suit by David Baylor suggests Kyle made Benjamin Points trustee to protect the farm from creditors.
Due to Baylor's suit, Kyle farm is sold at auction to James Trotter; Archibald Trotter later becomes co-owner. Trotters resell property to James Crawford and F. M. Young.
Crawford and Young sell 205-acre farm plus 52 acres to William and Isaiah McFall.
Steady decline in William McFall's property and eventual bankruptcy. Isaiah McFall disappears from records after initial purchase of property.
Union troops may have moved along the adjacent turnpike, but tax assessments indicate no destruction of property.
William McFall sells 125 acres to J. A. Hamrick.
Further 0.25-acre drop in McFall land assessment. McFall possibly sells 0.25 acre that includes dwelling to Frank Harlow. Harlow's name is printed next to a house and saddle shop on 1885 county atlas map, but few county records found refer to Harlow ownership.
J. A. Hamrick buys McFall's remaining 128 acres.
Hamrick makes $500 of improvements to property.
Hamrick sells remaining 88 acres of McFall farm to James Buckley.
James Buckley acquires 36 acres from Harlow family, which includes Parnassus Site.
Buckley sells his 88- and 36-acre tracts to J. W. Hevener, who conveys them to G. W. Hevener a few days later.
Upon his death, G. W. Hevener's property passes to granddaughter, Elizabeth Peterson, who already owns 47-acre tract containing Harlow house and Parnassus Site.
Elizabeth and her husband, W. B. Peterson, sell 124-acre Hevener tract and 47-acre Harlow tract to J. W. Fairburn.
J. Wayne Fairburn inherits the tracts from his father, J. W. Fairburn.
John Wayne Fairburn and sister Cindy Fairburn Lundy inherit the tracts from their father, J. Wayne Fairburn.
Fairburn siblings execute deed of partition dividing their father's property.
1977 In Small Things Forgotten: The Archaeology of Early American Life . Anchor Press/Doubleday, Garden City, New York