The Charles Center offers three different summer scholarships for non- or low-paying internships: The Lawrence and Jean Irwin Memorial Internship Scholarship, The Bertha Taylor Scholarship for Public Affairs Internships, and the Reves Center Summer International Internship Scholarships.
The exact number of awards and the amount of each will vary from year to year. There is one application for all three awards.
Applicants for these awards may not be graduating before December of the application year.
Lawrence and Jean Irwin Memorial Internship Scholarship/ Bertha Taylor Scholarship for Public Affairs Internships
Thanks to the generosity of Lawrence and Jean Irwin and Bertha Taylor, the Charles Center and the Government Department are able to award a number of scholarships to help support continuing undergraduate-level students undertaking summer internships related to politics, government, and public affairs in general.
Reves Center Summer International Internship Scholarships
The Reves Center offers a number of scholarships for continuing students at the undergraduate or graduate level. Students must be involved in full-time internships overseas or in domestic agencies/organizations that are international in focus.
Click on the link for more information
- Application Form
- Resume (2 pages maximum)
- Personal Statement (1 page, double-spaced maximum)
- Internship Certification Letter from Internship Supervisor
- If internship is abroad, the Charles Center requires you to purchase international travel insurance to cover the length of time you are abroad.
- If internship is in a country under a State Department Travel Warning, prior approval from the Reves Center for International Studies is required
- Application review begins on Wednesday, April 27, 2016
How to Apply
- Access the online application by clicking this link
- Create an account using your email.wm.edu address
- In the Preliminary Questions section select Scholarships for Summer Internships as the program for which you are applying
- Already have an account/have applied for a Charles Center scholarship before? Visit the FAQs page for instructions on how to start a new application.
- Fill out the application form and upload the required documents (resume, personal statement, letter from supervisor)
- Submit application
Be sure to read through the FAQs page for the Charles Center Summer Scholarships for further information, including who to contact for help preparing your application and the process of applying.
The online application form asks for your contact information, which internship scholarships for which you qualify, and information about the internship (where it takes place, the dates of the internship, supervisor's name and contact information, etc.)
The personal statement can be uploaded (as a Word document or PDF) or typed directly into the online application. It should be no more than one page, double-spaced. The personal statement should describe the following:
- What you expect will be your duties and routine as an intern
- What is your interest in the position-- why it fits with previous academic or extracurricular activities and what you hope to gain from the experience
- that you have accepted the position
- that it entails more than clerical duties
- that it will last an equivalent of five full weeks
- whether it will be compensated and, if so, the amount
International Travel Insurance
If you plan to travel internationally for your research, the Charles Center requires you to get insurance for your time abroad. The Global Education Office at the Reves Center strongly recommends that you purchase Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI) insurance. Read more about CISI and how to purchase it from the Reves Center.
Petitions for summer 2016 Charles Center-funded travel/research/internship in a country under a Travel Warning must be received by Nicholas Vasquez, International Travel and Security Manager, by 5:00 pm on April 15, 2016. See this page for details and plan to submit your petition prior to the March 2 Charles Center deadline.
Follow-Up for Recipients of an Internship Scholarship
Upon completion of the internship, all recipients of Irwin or Taylor funding must complete and submit an evaluation of the internship. In addition, all recipients must submit one 400-word reflective essay on their experiences, including a photograph and short biography of themselves. Essays may be considered for publication on the Charles Center or Government department websites. A one-minute video about the internship may be substituted for the essay if desired. All essays should be sent to [[lmgrim, Lisa Grimes]]; all videos should be sent to [[kmneuhart, Kristina Neuhart]].
Upon completion of the internship, all recipients of Reves Center funding must complete and submit an evaluation of the internship. In addition, all recipients must submit one 400-word reflective essay on their experiences, including a photograph and short biography of themselves. Essays may be considered for publication on the Reves Center website and/or in the Reves Center’s magazine, World Minded. A one minute video of the internship may be substituted for the essay if desired. All essays and videos should be sent to [[international, Reves Center Communications]].