Information for 2014 Charles Center Summer Scholarships is now updated. The 2014 online applications will become accessible on January 14, 2014.
The Charles Center offers a number of funding opportunities to support undergraduate research during the summer. This funding is open to research in all disciplines and can take place on campus, off-campus, or abroad. Most awards are for $3,000 to support seven full-time weeks of research. Applications are submitted online, using the link provided below. The deadline to apply for research in the summer of 2014 is Wednesday, March 12, 2014.
Below are the general requirements for the application. Please note that some scholarships will have different specifications or application requirements. We ask that you read through the descriptions of the scholarships carefully before starting the application process.
- Applicant must be a student in good academic standing
- Applicant must be a continuing student (i.e., not a graduating senior)
- Recipients of summer research funding will blog about their research experience during the summer on the Charles Center Summer Research Blog. WM Honors Fellows will blog about their research on the Honors Fellows blog.
- All recipients will present their research at the Charles Center's annual Summer Research Showcase in the fall of 2014.
Scholarships for Research
These applications are due by noon on Wednesday, March 12, 2014:
- Charles Center Summer Research Funding (includes Sharpe and Community Studies Summer Grants and WMSURE Summer Grants)
- Kraemer Scholarship for Summer Research or Study in the British Isles
- WM Honors Fellowships
Scholarships for Artistic Development
This application is due by noon on Wednesday, March 12, 2014:
Scholarships for Internships
These applications are for funding for non- or low-paid internships. Application review begins Friday, April 25, 2014.
- Lawrence and Jean Irwin Memorial Internship Scholarship/ Bertha Taylor Scholarships for Public Affairs Internships
- Reves Center International Internship Scholarships
- H. Stewart Dunn Civil Liberties Fellowship
- J. Edward Grimsley Fellowship for Journalism
The recipients of these awards are determined by departments. Click the links for more details.
- Llanso-Sherman Scholarship (alternates between Biology and Chemistry)
- Virginia Crouch Memorial Research Grant (alternates between Biology and History)
How to Apply
Step-by-step instructions are provided on each specific scholarship page. Click the links above.
Frequently Asked Questions
Be sure to visit the FAQs page for further information about applying for a Charles Center Summer Scholarship.
If you have read through the scholarship pages and FAQs and still have a question, please email [[lmgrim, Lisa Grimes]] at the Charles Center.