Vice Provost and CGA funding for the 2013-2014 year is no longer available. The next round of funding begins on July 1, 2014. Proposals submitted before that date will not be considered.
Reves Center and Lemon Project funding is limited. Applications for these grants can still be submitted.
The purpose of the Student Research Grants Program is to assist students with expenses directly related to the conduct of research. Please read these guidelines carefully before preparing an application.
- Applicant must be a currently enrolled and continuing undergraduate or graduate student
- Applicant may receive only one Student Research Grant per academic year and no more than three in total
Types of Expenses Supported
This list is not an all-inclusive one. Other items may be funded if sufficiently justified.
- Travel to libraries, archives, laboratories, etc., in support of research
- Long distance telephone calls, photocopies, postage
- Payments to human subjects and payments for animal subjects
- Private automobile transportation will be reimbursed at 10 cents per mile
The following items will not be funded:
- The presentation, publication, or dissemination of finished research UNLESS the application is for a Lemon Project grant
- Research costs that should be included in the normal budgets of department of schools
- Research that should be included in the normal budget of any external support received by the student’s advisors for research in the same basic area
- Typing and duplication of theses or course papers
- Equipment or materials ordinarily supplied by departments or Technology Services
- Books or other materials ordinarily supplied by department or library budgets
- Any expenses associated with travel to or attendance at professional meetings
- Lessons or professional development fees
- All grant recipients are required to write about their research (minimum of two posts) on the SuRGe blog
- Recipients of the Reves Center Funding or any grant recipient whose research involves travel outside of the United States must complete the International Travel Waiver form and purchase the required CISI Travel/Medical Insurance prior to your departure. Click here for more details.
Click on the links for more information
- Project Description (750 words maximum, single-spaced)
- Itemized Budget
- Signed Faculty Advisor and Department Chair/Program Director Approval Form
- Student Research Grant applications are accepted and approved on a rolling basis
- Applications should be submitted prior to actual expenditures. Expenses incurred before the application will be considered if strong justification is provided.
How to Apply
- Read carefully through this guidelines page before starting application.
- Print out the Approval form and get original signatures of faculty advisor and department/program chair
- Access the online application by clicking this link
- Create an account using your email.wm.edu address
- In the Preliminary Questions section select Student Research Grant as the program for which you are applying.
- Already have an account/have applied for a Charles Center scholarship before? Click here for instructions on how to submit a new application
- Fill out the application form and upload the required documents (project description, budget, approval form)
- Submit your application
The project description can be uploaded (as a Word document or PDF) or typed directly into the online application. This description should be single-spaced and no more than 750 words.
The budget can be uploaded (as a Word document or PDF) or typed directly into the online application. The budget should be complete and itemized with all costs and other funding sources clearly detailed. Note that reimbursements will be made only for those expenses approved by the Charles Center. Students are encouraged to work with their advisors to actively solicit funding from other sources if it is likely that their research expenditure will execeed the SRG limits.
Faculty Advisor and Department Chair/Program Director Approval form
The approval form can be downloaded here or downloaded through the online application, located under Supplemental Forms. This form must have original signatures before it is uploaded to the online application. The Charles Center expects that the faculty advisor has read the project description before signing the form.
Instructions for how to submit a new application for students who have previously applied through the Charles Center's online application system
If you have used the system for another application, log in with your email and password. Once you are in the system, you will need to change the answer to your Preliminary Questions by clicking the "update my answers" link located on the right of the William and Mary banner. Be sure to select Student Research Grant as the program for which you are applying.
When the decisions have been made by the Charles Center (usually within one-two weeks of receipt), applicants will receive a letter via email notifying them of the results of their proposals.
Information for Student Research Grant Recipients
- Funds will be transferred to the recipient's department or school and reimbursements will be handled through the administrative secretary at that department or school. Department/schools will be notified when the funds are transferred.
- Travel arrangements (except for personal vehicle mileage) must be coordinated through the department or school. Tickets should not be purchased independently by the recipient.
- To be reimbursed for expenses, the grantee must present appropriate proof (invoices, receipts, etc.) of all expenses.
- Recipients of the Reves Center funding (or Lemon Project funding for international travel) will need to complete the International Travel Waiver form and purchase the required CISI Travel/Medical Insurance prior to your departure. This applies to all travel outside of the 50 US states and DC. The insurance premium is $34 per month for the duration of your travel. Both the waiver form and proof of purchase of the CISI insurance must be submitted to the Charles Center when you turn in your acceptance letter and prior to your departure. Read more about the CISI Travel/Medical Insurance and how to purchase it. The CISI insurance is coordinated through the Reves Center.
If you have questions or would like to review past successful grant applications on file, please email [[lmgrim, Lisa Grimes]] at the Charles Center.