PLEASE NOTE: The processing of Student Research Grant applications has concluded for the Fall 2016 semester. Applications submitted after December 8, 2016 will be processed at the start of the Spring 2017 semester.
Please read the following information carefully. Use the link below to create an account and access the online application.
The purpose of the Student Research Grants Program is to assist students with expenses directly related to the conduct of research. Please read the following guidelines carefully before starting work on an application.
- Applicant must be a currently enrolled undergraduate or graduate student
- Applicant may receive only one Student Research Grant per academic year and no more than three in total
Types of Expenses Supported
This list is not an all-inclusive one. Other items may be funded if sufficiently justified.
- Travel to libraries, archives, laboratories, etc., in support of research
- Long distance telephone calls, photocopies, postage
- Payments to human subjects and payments for animal subjects
- Private automobile transportation will be reimbursed at 10 cents per mile
The following items will not be funded:
- The presentation, publication, or dissemination of finished research UNLESS the application is for a Lemon Project grant
- Research costs that should be included in the normal budgets of department of schools
- Research costs that should be included in the normal budget of any external support received by the student’s advisors for research in the same basic area
- Typing and duplication of theses or course papers
- Equipment or materials ordinarily supplied by departments or Technology Services
- Books or other materials ordinarily supplied by department or library budgets
- Any expenses associated with travel to or attendance at professional meetings
- Lessons or professional development fees
- All grant recipients are required to post a minimum of two entries on the SuRGe blog
- Recipients of the Reves Center Funding or any grant recipient whose research involves travel outside of the United States must complete the International Travel Waiver form and purchase the required CISI Travel/Medical Insurance prior to your departure. Click here for more details.
Click on the links for more information
- Project Description (750 words maximum, single-spaced)
- Itemized Budget
- Signed Faculty Advisor and Department Chair/Program Director Approval Form
- Student Research Grant applications are accepted and approved on a rolling basis. Allow one month for processing.
- Applications should be submitted prior to actual expenditures. Expenses incurred before the application will be considered if strong justification is provided.
How to Apply
- Read carefully through this guidelines page before starting application.
- Print out the Approval form and get original signatures of faculty advisor and department/program chair
- Create an account here using your email.wm.edu address
- In the Preliminary Questions section select Student Research Grant as the program for which you are applying.
- Fill out the application form and upload the required documents (project description, budget, approval form)
- Submit your application
The project description can be uploaded (as a Word document or PDF) or typed directly into the online application. This description should be single-spaced, no more than 750 words, and meet the following criteria:
- State the primary objective(s) of your research or project.
- Briefly describe the foundational themes that inform your subject and elaborate on how your own research builds on these themes and/or forges new ones.
- Describe the processes, methods, and materials you will use to conduct your research or project.
- Outline any anticipated results and their significance.
- Orient your work within your broader course of scholarship: Will this work comprise part of your thesis or dissertation? Does it build on work you’ve done in the past? Do you intend to develop it in the future?
- Explain the relevance and implications of your research or project: Why is this work important?
The budget can be uploaded (as a Word document or PDF) or typed directly into the online application. The budget should be complete and itemized with all costs and other funding sources clearly detailed. Note that reimbursements will be made only for those expenses approved by the Charles Center. Students are encouraged to work with their advisors to actively solicit funding from other sources if it is likely that their research expenditure will execeed the SRG limits.
Faculty Advisor and Department Chair/Program Director Approval form
The approval form can be downloaded here or downloaded through the online application, located under Supplemental Forms. This form must have original signatures before it is uploaded to the online application. The Charles Center expects that the faculty advisor has read the project description before signing the form.
When the decisions have been made by the Charles Center (within four weeks of receipt), applicants will receive a letter via email notifying them of the results of their proposals. Faculty advisors will be copied on the email.
Information for Student Research Grant Recipients
- Funds will be transferred to the recipient's department or school and reimbursements will be handled through the administrative assistant at that department or school. Department/schools will be notified when the funds are transferred.
- Travel arrangements (except for personal vehicle mileage) must be coordinated through the department or school. Tickets should not be purchased independently by the recipient.
- To be reimbursed for expenses, the grantee must present appropriate proof (invoices, receipts, etc.) of all expenses to the administrative assistant in the department or school.
- Recipients of the Reves Center funding (or Lemon Project funding for international travel) must complete the International Travel Waiver form and purchase the required CISI Travel/Medical Insurance prior to your departure. This applies to all travel outside of the 50 US states and DC. The insurance premium is $34 per month for the duration of your travel. Both the waiver form and proof of purchase of the CISI insurance must be submitted to the Charles Center when you turn in your acceptance letter and prior to your departure. Read more about the CISI Travel/Medical Insurance and how to purchase it. The CISI insurance is coordinated through the Reves Center.
If you have questions, please email [[lmgrim, Lisa Grimes]].