Area of Specialization
Exercise physiology, cardiovascular physiology
- Post-doctoral Fellow, Vascular Biology, Medical College of Georgia 1999-2002. (Mentor: Richard C. Venema, Ph.D.)
- Ph.D., University of Texas at Austin 1999. (Mentor: Joseph W. Starnes, Ph.D.)
- M.A., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill 1995
- B.S. College of William & Mary 1993
- Freshman Seminar: Physiology of the Marathon (KINE 150W)
- Human Physiology (KINE 304)
- Issues in Health (KINE 320)
- Exercise Physiology (KINE 442)
- Independent Study in Kinesiology & Health Sciences (KINE 470, 471)
- Kinesiology & Health Sciences Research (KINE 480, 481)
- Honors in Kinesiology & Health Sciences (KINE 495, 496)
- Kuo, C-H. and Harris, M.B.Abdominal fat-reducing outcome of exercise training: Fat burning versus hydrocarbon source redistribution?Canadian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, 94(7):695-8, 2016.
- Zhu, R., Li, J., Wen, C., Harris, M.B., Liu, Y., & Kuo, C. Lipid storage changes in human skeletal muscle during detraining.Frontiers in Physiology, 6, 2015.
- Lamoke, F., Mazzone, V., Persichini, T., Maraschi, A.M., Harris, M.B., Venema, R.C., Colasanti, M., Muscoli, C., Bartoli, M., and Mollace, V. Amyloid β peptide-induced inhibition of endothelial nitric oxide production involves oxidative stress-mediated constitutive eNOS/HSP90 interaction and disruption of agonist-mediated Akt activation.Journal of Neuroinflammation 12(1):84, 2015.
- Deschenes, M.R., Sherman, E., Roby, M.A., Glass, E. and Harris, M.B.Effect of Resistance Training on Neuromuscular Junctions of Young and Aged Muscles Featuring Different Recruitment Patterns.Journal of Neuroscience Research 93(3):504-13, 2015.
- Martens, C.R., Kuczmarski, J.M., Kim, J., Guers, J.J., Harris, M.B., Lennon-Edwards, S., and Edwards, D.G. Voluntary wheel running augments aortic L-arginine transport and endothelial function in rats with chronic kidney disease.American Journal of Physiology: Renal Physiology 307(4):F418-26, 2014.
- Chia M.,Liao C.A., Huang C.Y., Lee W.C., Hou C.W., Yu S.H., Harris M.B., Hsu T.S., Lee S.D. and Kuo, C.H. Reducing body fat with altitude hypoxia training in swimmers: role ofblood perfusion to skeletal muscles. Chinese Journal of Physiology, 56(1):18-25,2013
- Harris, M.B. and Wolf, M.R. Cardiovascular disease risk factors following a 758 km, 30-day pilgrimage. International Journal of Sports Medicine, 34(08):727-731, 2013.
- Tseng,C.Y., Lee, J.P., Tsai, Y.S., Lee, S.D., Kao, C.L., Lai, C.S., Harris, M.B.,and Kuo,C-H. Topical cooling (icing)delays recovery from eccentric exercise-induced muscle damage.Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 27(5):1354-61, 2013.
- Nelson, M.J., Harris, M.B., Boluyt, M.O., Hwang, H.S., and Starnes, J.W. Effect of N-2 mercaptopropionyl on exercise-induced cardiac adaptations.American Journal of Physiology: Regulatory, Integrative, and Comparative Physiology 300(4):R993-R1000, 2011.
- Deschenes, M.R., Roby, M.A., Eason, M.K., and Harris, M.B.Remodeling of the neuromuscular junction precedes sarcopenia related changes in myofibers.Experimental Gerontology 45(5):389-93, 2010.
- Chen, Y.L., Liu Y.F., Huang, C.Y., Lee, S.D., Chan, Y.S., Chen, C.C., Harris, B., Kuo, C.H. Normalization effect of sports training on blood pressure in hypertensives. Journal of Sports Sciences 28(4):361-7, 2010.
- Harris, M.B., Slack, K.N., Prestosa, D.T., Hryvniak, D.J. Resistance training improves endothelial dysfunction in aged rats.European Journal of Applied Physiology 108(3):533-40, 2010.
- Harris, M.B., Mitchell, B.M., Sood, S.G., Webb, R.C., and Venema, R.C. Increased nitric oxide synthase activity and Hsp90 association in skeletal muscle following chronic exercise. European Journal of Applied Physiology 104(5):795-802, 2008.
- Nagy, S., Harris, M.B., Ju, H., Bhatia, J., and Venema, R.C. pH and nitric oxide synthase activity and expression in bovine aortic endothelial cells. Acta Paediatrica 95(7):814-7, 2006.
- Harris, M.B., Bartoli, M., Sood, S.G., Mattis, R.L., and Venema, R.C. Direct interaction of the cell division cycle 37 homolog (Cdc37) inhibits endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) activity. Circulation Research 98(3):335-41, 2006.
- Li C, Harris M.B., Venema VJ, Venema RC. Endostatin induces acute endothelial nitric oxide and prostacyclin release.Biochemical Biophysical Research Communications. 329(3):873-8, 2005.
- Li C, Huang W, Harris M.B., Goolsby JM, Venema RC. Interaction of the endothelial nitric oxide synthase with the CAT-1 arginine transporter enhances NO release by a mechanism not involving arginine transport. Biochemical Journal. 386(Pt 3):567-74, 2005.
- Fulton, D., Harris, M.B., Venema, R.C., Marrero, M.B., and Stepp, D.W. Insulin resistance does not diminish eNOS expression, phosphorylation, or binding to Hsp90 . American Journal of Physiology: Heart and Circulatory Physiology. 287(6):H2384-93, 2004.
- Harris, M.B., Blackstone, M.A., Sood, S.G., Li, C., Goolsby, J.M., Venema, V.J., Kemp, B.E. and Venema, R.C. Acute activation and phosphorylation of endothelial nitric oxide synthase by HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors. American Journal of Physiology: Heart and Circulatory Physiology. 287(2):H560-6, 2004.
- Venema, R.V., Venema, V.J., Ju, H., Harris, M.B., Snead, C., Dimitropoulou, C., Catravas, J.D. Interactions of eNOS with sGC in the eNOS/Hsp90/sGC complex are mediated by Hsp90. American Journal of Physiology: Heart and Circulatory Physiology. 285:H669-78, 2003.
- Harris, M.B., Blackstone, M.A., Ju, H., Venema, V.J., and Venema, R.C. Heat-induced increases in endothelial nitric oxide synthase expression, activity, and endothelial NO release. American Journal of Physiology: Heart and Circulatory Physiology. 285:H333-40, 2003.
- Harris, M.B., Michell, B.J., Chen, Z.P., Ju, H., Venema, V.J., Blackstone, M.A., Huang, W., Kemp, B.E. and Venema, R.C. Identification of regulatory sites of phosphorylation of the bovine endothelial nitric-oxide synthase at serines 617 and 635. Journal of Biological Chemistry 277:42344-51, 2002.
- Mitchell, C.R., Harris, M.B., Cordaro, A.R., and Starnes, J.W. Effect of body temperature during exercise on skeletal muscle cytochrome c content. Journal of Applied Physiology 93:526-530, 2002.
- Harris, M.B., Ju, H., Venema, V.J., Liang, H., Zou, R., Michell, B.J., Chen, Z.P., Kemp, B.E., and Venema, R.C. Reciprocal phosphorylation and regulation of the endothelial nitric oxide synthase in response to bradykinin stimulation. Journal of Biological Chemistry 276:16587-16591, 2001.
- Harris, M.B., and Starnes, J.W. Effects of body temperature on chronic exercise-induced cardioprotection. American Journal of Physiology 280:H2271-H2280, 2001.
- Harris, M.B., Ju, H., Venema, V.J., Blackstone, M., and Venema, R.C. Role of heat shock protein 90 in Bradykinin-stimulated endothelial nitric oxide release. General Pharmacology 35:165-170, 2000.
- Ju, H., Venema, V.J., Liang, H., Harris, M.B., Zou, R., and Venema, R.C. Bradykinin activates the JAK/STAT pathway in vascular endothelial cells. Localization of JAK/STAT signaling proteins in plasmalemmal caveolae. Biochemical Journal 351:257-264, 2000.
- Taylor, R.P., Harris, M.B., Starnes, J.W. Acute exercise can improve cardioprotection without increasing heat-shock protein. American Journal of Physiology 276:H1098-H1102, 1999.
- Maixner W, Fillingim R, Kincaid S, Sigurdsson A, and Harris, M.B.Relationship between pain sensitivity and resting arterial blood pressure in patients with painful temporomandibular disorders (PDF). Psychosomatic Medicine 59(5):503-11, 1997.
- Fillingim RB, Maixner W, Girdler SS, Light KC, Harris, M.B., Sheps DS, Mason GA. Ischemic but not thermal pain sensitivity varies across the menstrual cycle (PDF). Psychosomatic Medicine 59(5):512-20, 1997.
- Fillingim, R.B., Maixner, W., Kincaid, S., Sigurdsson, A. and Harris, M.B.Pain sensitivity in patients with temporomandibular disorders: relationship to clinical and psychosocial factors. Clinical Journal of Pain 12: 260-9, 1996.
- Fillingim, R.B., Gridler, S.S., Booker, D.K., Light, K.C., Harris, M.B., and Maixner, W. Pain senstivity in women with prementrual dysphoric disorder: a preliminary report. Journal of Women’s Health 4:367-374, 1995.
- Harris, MB The healthy body: kinesiological effects of walking pilgrimage. In: The Pilgrim Bodies: An anatomy of Christian and Post-Christian intentional movement. Ed.Anderson, M. and Terreault, S. Ashgate Publishing, Farnham, U.K. (in press)
Fellowship and Grants
- NIH (R15) Academic Research Enhancement Award, for “Resistance training improvements in age-associated endothelial dysfunction,” 9/15/10-5/31/14
- The Jeffress Memorial Trust, for "Effects of exercise on SIRT1 expression and vascular function," 1/1/09-12/31/11
- NIH (R15) Academic Research Enhancement Award, for “Regulation of eNOS by the cell division cycle homolog, cdc37,” 1/1/06-12/31/08
- Scientist Development Grant, American Heart Association National Center, for “Mechanisms of eNOS phosphorylation and activation by HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors,” 1/1/04-12/30/07
- Individual National Research Service Award (NRSA) for “Interaction of Hsp90 and the endothelial nitric oxide synthase,” 12/31/00-12/30/03
- American Heart Association Postdoctoral Fellowship, Southern and Ohio Valley Research Consortium for “Interaction of Hsp90 and the endothelial nitric oxide synthase,” 7/1/00-12/31/00
- American College of Sports Medicine Foundation Grant for “Development of cardioprotection during an exercise program”, 7/1/98-6/30/99
VCU School of Medicine Early Assurance Program Committee, College of William & Mary (2017)
Charles Center Summer Scholarship Committee, College of William & Mary (2017)
- Communications Director - Institute for Pilgrimage Studies; Coordinating team for Annual Symposium for Pilgrimage Studies (2012-present)
- Committee on Degrees, The College of William & Mary (2013-present)
- Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC), College of William & Mary( 2011-present)
- Committee on Honors and Interdisciplinary Studies, College of William & Mary (2015-2016)
- Editorial Board, World Journal of Cardiology (2013-present)
- Editorial Board, Adaptive Medicine (2009-present)
- Grant reviewer for the American Heart Association, Molecular Signaling Study Section (2008, 2009); IRG1 Brain and Vascular Sciences (2016)
- Dept. of Kinesiology & Health Sciences Personnel Commitee (Chair), The College of William & Mary (2014)
- Assistant Chair for Outreach, Dept. of Kinesiology & Health Sciences, The College of William & Mary (2009-2012)
- Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC), College of William & Mary (2006-2009)