The Consortium on Pilgrimage Studies is led by the Institute for Pilgrimage Studies at William & Mary within the Faculty of Arts and Sciences. The inaugural workshop and organizational meeting was held at Georgetown University in February 2011 and began with over thirty American and Canadian colleges and universities that teach pilgrimage studies in any department or discipline. Membership in the Consortium can be renewed on an annual basis for individuals and institutions.
Pilgrimage studies in the US and Canada have grown exponentially in recent years, especially with renewed enthusiasm for exploring the now revitalized Camino deSantiago first hand. Many institutions organize learning experiences on the Camino for their students, but with a great deal of duplication of effort and significant burdens on faculty on each campus. Still other colleagues are intrigued but have yet to launch a curricular initiative of their own.
Our Consortium brings together a community of scholars from diverse fields such as sociology, classical studies, religious studies, anthropology, literature and languages, art history, kinesiology, theatre and dance, medieval history, law, education, etc. Undergraduate and graduate students from member institutions are eligible to apply to the annual William & Mary summer study abroad program in Santiago de Compostela. The dates for the next program will be May 23-June 20, 2017. Application information for the summer research seminars can be found here and applicants from institutional members will be eligible for scholarships from the Institute for Pilgrimage Studies based on a statement of need and the quality of their research proposal.
All members of the Consortium will have access to bibliographies, sample syllabi, readings and other teaching tools through our Blackboard website. They also enjoy discounted registration at the annual Symposium for Pilgrimage Studies, October 2017.
Chartering Institutions from 2011
- William & Mary, Virginia
- U of Alabama at Birmingham, Alabama
- Georgetown U, Washington, DC
- U of Florida, Florida
- Western Michigan U, Michigan
- Alma College, Michigan
- College of Saint Benedict-St. John’s U, Minnesota
- U of Southern Maine, Maine
- U of The South (Sewanee), Tennessee
- U of Louisville, Kentucky
- Fordham U, New York
- Davidson College, North Carolina
- Hanover College, Indiana
- State U of New York at Geneseo, New York
- Roanoke College, Virginia
- Gustavus Adolphus College, Minnesota
- Washington U in St. Louis, Missouri
- Wake Forest U, North Carolina
- U of New Mexico, New Mexico
- Lander U, South Carolina
- Old Dominion U, Virginia
- Indiana U of Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State U, Virginia
- McMaster U, Ontario, Canada
- U of Michigan, Michigan
- U of Minnesota-Duluth
- King’s U College, Ontario, Canada