Sites » Commencement » Frequently Asked Questions » Commecement Attire
What is the appropriate dress for the weekend's events?
Family members and guests
- Dress comfortably for the weekend, taking the weather conditions into account. There are no formal expectations for what guests should wear during the weekend.
- Most guests tend to dress up more (what might be worn to a religious service, for example) for the Service of Celebration and the main Commencement ceremony.
- The air conditioning will be on in William & Mary Hall and the arena can get quite chilly! We recommend that you dress in layers or bring a sweater.
- With the exception of the officers of the Senior Class, academic regalia is not worn to the Service of Celebration on Saturday morning.
- Caps and gowns (but NOT hoods) should be worn to the Candlelight Ceremony at 9:30 p.m. Saturday night in the Wren Yard.
- Caps, gowns and hoods should be worn for the "Walk Across Campus" on Sunday in the Wren Yard and, of course, at Commencement itself. The tassel is worn on the right side of the mortar board (cap) until you are awarded your degree.
- Mortar boards (caps) may not have objects or inappropriate messages attached.
- Graduates may want to dress in layers for events in William & Mary Hall in case the arena is uncomfortably cool.