The following rules apply to all users of the William and Mary laboratories and instruments.
All standard safety rules for laboratories must be obeyed at all times.
- Areas around the instrument must be left clean.
- Any item that has been used must be returned to its proper place.
All users must submit the online instrument request form in advance to reserve instrument time.
- The laboratory manager can cancel instrument time as circumstances dictate.
- For requests outside of normal business hours (8am-5pm), the laboratory or instrument manager should be contacted.
- Users must make a 24-hour advance cancellation notice.
Users are required to attend training sessions before they are authorized to operate equipment.
- Contact the laboratory/instrument manager prior to submitting the on-line laboratory/instrument request form for date and time to submit.
- Users are required to sign in/out and provide all information that is requested in the log sheets or log books associated with a given instrument.
- Report unusual equipment occurrences such as damage or malfunction.
- In the event of malfunction or damage during normal business hours, the laboratory manager or technician should be notified immediately.
A user's access rights may be revoked for any of the following reasons:
- Failure to comply with all safety regulations.
- Damage to the laboratory or equipment due to negligence and carelessness.
- Failure to complete the log sheets or log book.
Samples and Data
When using instruments under vacuum, samples may not comprise any substance that would contaminate the chamber of the instrument, including liquids or volatile substances.
Users are responsible for their own samples.
- Users are responsible for backing up their own data. Laboratory and instrument managers are not responsible for lost data.
Complete the Equipment, Laboratory and Conference Room Request Form to get started.