Campus Recreation holds interviews for Group Fitness Instructors once a year in the spring. Individuals do not have to have a national fitness certification in order to interview to be a Group Fitness Instructor at the Student Recreational Center. However, we encourage interested students to take the Group Fitness Instructor Training Course held at the Student Rec Center every fall.
Once hired, Instructors will be considered "Fitness Instructors-In-Training" and will team-teach classes with returning Instructors until they are ready to teach classes on their own. Instructors hired in Spring can begin teaching classes in Summer or Fall.
For more information regarding the hiring process click here.
Fitness Instructors are responsible for leading safe and effective fitness classes for the Recreational Sports Department. They are to design enjoyable classes that encourage participation and educate patrons on the benefits of exercise and healthy lifestyles. Fitness Instructors must demonstrate a positive commitment to the mission and goals of the Recreational Sports Fitness Program. Instructors are required to work with the Fitness Instructors-in-Training, and are encouraged to be involved with Instructor Training Sessions.
Expectations & Responsibilites
- Become nationally certified within 6 months of being on the Campus Recreation Staff
- Complete the Group Fitness Instructor Training Course in the fall
- Attend weekly Group Fitness Instructor meetings-Tuesdays @ 9:00pm
- Attend the Campus Recreation Staff Training once/semester the day before school starts
- Attend all workshops and special events that are designated as mandatory by the Assistant Director for Fitness & Wellness.
- Arrive ON TIME to all meetings, workshops, training sessions and special events
- Maintain current CPR, First Aid, AED and national group fitness instructor certifications.
- Keep up-to-date with the latest health and fitness trends. Continue your knowledge and education by attending workshops, presentations, expos, conferences, etc. to earn continuing education credits.
- Maintain open and frequent communication with the Assistant Director for Fitness & Wellness, the Graduate Assistant and your co-workers and return all emails and calls in a timely manner.
- Follow Rec Center rules and guidelines including equipment use and dress code.
- Abide by the honor code.
- Design and lead safe and effective group fitness classes.
- Report to work at least 10 minutes prior to class. Have a class format prepared, bring music if needed, water, and other items you may need during class.
- Keep a staff contact/phone list and know how to get in touch with all of the Fitness Instructors.
- Stay up-to-date with all staff special events and programs so that you can describe them to participants.