Do you remember what it’s like to be a new student, trying to find your way? Looking for your niche?
Did anyone extend a helping hand? Now you can be the helping hand that SPANs the gap from being a new student to being a member of the Tribe! Become a peer mentor for the SPAN program!
The mission of a SPAN Peer Mentor is to serve as a student connection and resource.
Expectations for Mentors:
As a mentor, you will have a lot of autonomy to develop an individual relationship with your protege. However, we also need mentors to be accountable for meeting the expectations of the program. To be a mentor, you must commit to the following:
- Mentors must have a minimum GPA of 2.0
- Participate in all mandatory meetings and events, including: Mentor Training, Fall Kick-Off and Matching Event, and periodic Family Group Meet-Ups.
- Maintain weekly contact with your protege for the first 6 weeks of the program, and regular contact thereafter
- Attend at least two College programs with your protege (i.e. Opening Convocation, Charter Day, student organization programs, Center for Student Diversity programs, etc)
- Make at least one visit to the Center for Student Diversity with your protege in the fall semester
- Make active efforts to develop a meaningful relationship with your protege and serve as a resource to them
- Make active efforts to learn, grow, and develop your skills as a mentor
- Keep your contact information updated with the Center for Student Diversity
- Inform your Team Leader or the SPAN coordinator of any concerns or problems, including inability to make contact or poor communication with your protege
- Complete an evaluation about your experiences as a mentor, including suggestions for the SPAN program
Ready to Apply?
Application Deadline: Friday, February 26, 2016, at 12:00 p.m. (noon).