- Elements of a Successful Proposal--a model format for grant proposals and helpful hints.
- Letter Proposals--usually requested from foundations before they will entertain a full proposal.
- What Reviewers Look For--some hints on making reviewers happy.
- Federal vs. Non-federal Sponsors --how proposals to federal sponsors will differ from those to non-federal ones.
- Budgeting Basics
- At a Glance: Boilerplate Information about William and Mary for Proposals
- Proposal Writing Guides--a bibliography of materials available in Swem Library and the Grants Office.
External Funding: A Manual for Faculty at The College of William &
This manual provides an overview of the Office of Grants and Research Administration and the Office of Corporate and Foundation Relations. Its purpose is to outline the services provided by these two offices in assisting faculty to obtain external funding, and to provide faculty with information about corporate, foundation and other giving programs.
Other Useful Materials
- "A Guide
to Proposal Planning and Writing" (pdf)
This publication is an excellent resource for new grant-writers (by Jeremy T. Miner and Lynn E. Miner).
Writing Short Course
The Foundation Center has summarized the steps to writing your proposal.
- Grant Writing Tools for Nonprofits
This grantwriting guide, while aimed primarily at private nonprofits, will be useful to public grant seekers as well, providing samples of letters, applications and budgets.
from CD Publications
& Dont's for Fellowship Applicants
from the National Endowment for the Humanities
Art of Proposal Writing: Some Candid Suggestions for Applicants to Social
Science Research Council Competitions [pdf]
from the Social Science Research Council
- Reflections on Grant Seeking (pdf)
Dr. Sam C. Smith, former VP-Grants, Research Corporation
Reasons Proposals Fail
from Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis
Guide for Proposal Writing"
National Science Foundation Division of Undergraduate Education, 1998
- "The Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) Sites Program: Overview and Suggestions for Faculty Members (Including REU review criteria, provided by an REU panel reviewer" (pdf)
Council on Undergradudate Research Quarterly, June 2003
Proposal Preparation Presentation from April 3, 2002 NSF workshop at William & Mary
for Writing Successful NIH Grants"
by Prof. Ellen Barrett, University of Miami, October 1995
- "NIH: Insider's Guide to Peer Review for Applicants" (pdf)
NIH Center for Scientific Review, January 18, 2008
- All About Grants Tutorials from NIH/NIAID
- Grant Application Basics
- How to Manage Your Grant Award
- How to Plan a Grant Application
- How to Write a Grant Application
Writing: The Business of Science (pdf)
This guide, provided by the Whitaker Foundation, discusses how to obtain a NIH grant, including a look at the NIH review system. http://www.whitaker.org/