2015 Global Education Office Study Abroad Photo Contest Guidelines
Now that you’ve returned from studying abroad, let us know more about your experience! The Global Education Office invites you to submit up to three of your best photos for our annual Study Abroad Photo Contest. Take this chance to demonstrate your skill with a camera, and help us showcase the value of an education abroad experience.
- Location, Location, Location: Includes photos of cityscapes, shops, landscape, nature, architecture, or anything that gives a “sense of place.”
- Celebration of Culture: Photos that capture the spirit of your host country, including interactions with the local population, traditions, festivals, etc.
- Tribe in Action: W&M student(s) out and about in the world! Photos could be of you and your classmates doing research, in the classroom, with your host family, etc.
- Kitchen Sink: Random but interesting shots that do not fit in the previous categories.
Global Education Office staff will select a winning photo for each category to be displayed at the Summer Study Abroad Open House, a showcase for W&M faculty-led summer programs abroad to be held on Wednesday, November 11, 2015(11:00am - 1:00pm) in the Sadler Center, Tidewater AB. Event attendees will vote for the overall winner from among the four category finalists. Additionally, submitted photos may be selected for future print publication and/or web use—students will receive photo credit if the Reves Center uses their image for study-abroad promotion.
Rules & Regulations
- All entries must be original work of W&M students who registered for study abroad with the Global Education Office.
- Photos may be from any term beginning with Fall 2014 or later.
- Photos must have been taken at some time during the study abroad program (i.e. such as program functions and activities or group outings/travel; photos from personal travel before or after the program will not be accepted.)
- Students may submit up to (3) photos; only one photo will be accepted per category.
- Images should have a resolution of at least 240 dpi; 300 dpi or higher is preferable.
- Photos must be digital and submitted via the online entry form and photo release agreement located below by 5:00pm on Friday, October 23. Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
- Judges’ decisions are final.
- The Global Education Office will notify category winners on or before Friday, October 30, 2015.
- Overall winner will be notified on or before Friday, November 13, 2015.
Please submit your entries here!