Pre-Departure Orientation is a session designed to prepare students for a meaningful study abroad experience. Some topics covered are:
- Important procedures for study abroad
- How to make the most out of your experience
- Cross cultural sensitivity and understanding
- Staying healthy and safe while abroad
- Travel tips
- Communcating with friends and family while abroad
- Country specific information
Sessions usually consist of a combination of large and small group discussions, and are largely facilitated by peers who have studied abroad. They will provide you will very useful information and can answer many of your questions. The orientations provide a good place to meet and talk with other students preparing to go abroad.
Pre-Departure Orientations are held in mid-November for those students studying abroad the following Spring semester and in mid-April for students studying abroad in the Summer and following Fall semester. Students should register their attendance by completing the questionnaire on their online registration at studyabroad.wm.edu. Students going on W&M's faculty-led summer programs do not have a pre-departure orientation, but instead have regular meetings with the program director.