Students participating in W&M faculty-led summer programs and W&M semester programs in Seville, Spain and La Plata, Argentina will receive W&M credit for courses taken abroad; grades will be posted on transcripts, and calculated into one's GPA. Pre- or post-approval of courses is generally not needed for these programs. If a student does take a course in La Plata or Sevilla that has not been pre-approved, post-approval will be required.
Students on other programs, including W&M exchange and assited enrollment and those through study abroad providers are generally eligible to receive transfer credit for their courses abroad provided the criteria below is met. Transfer credit will be awarded, grades will appear as a "T" on transcripts, and will not be calculated into one's GPA. Students must seek pre- or post-approval for all of these courses. The form for course approval can be found here.
Programs not listed in the directory may require additional evaluation of transfer credit eligibility during the application process. Before applying for a program NOT listed in the directory please send detailed program information, inlcuding the website to Debi DeBacco firstname.lastname@example.org in the Global Education Office. She will forward the information to the Registrar's Office to review for eligibility for transfer credit.
In order to receive credit for courses taken abroad, students must:
- Register at http://studyabroad.wm.edu by November 15 (spring study abroad) and April 15 (summer and fall study abroad)
- Pay the required fee at the Cashier's Window in Blow Hall
- Obtain course pre- or post- approval from the appropriate academic department(s). Bring pre-approval forms to the Reves Center before you leave campus the semester prior to study abroad. Course approval is not due by the registration deadline of November 15 or April 15.
- Earn a grade of "C" or higher (courses cannot be taken Pass/Fail)
Arrange to have an official final transcript sent by the host university, to:
Reves Center, College of William & Mary
PO Box 8795 Williamsburg, VA 23187-8795 USA
Note: If for any reason your institution sends the transcript to you instead of to the Reves Center, do not open the envelope. Bring the transcript in the sealed envelope to the Reves Center; we cannot accept opened transcripts. If the transcript has been opened, you will need to request a new transcript to be sent directly to the Reves Center.
Once final transcripts have been received and all courses have been approved by the appropriate departments, your credits will be evaluated and sent to the Registrar's Office for posting to your record. Reves staff members cannot approve courses, but will calculate and convert the number of credits earned while abroad. Neither faculty members nor the Registrar's Office calculates or converts foreign credits.
How foreign credits convert to W&M credits:
The number of credits issued by foreign universities varies considerably from country to country. The Reves Center will determine the number of credits upon completion of the program, receipt of the official transcript and either pre or post-approval for each course. If a students is unclear about how credits will transfer, contact Debi DeBacco email@example.com at the Reves Center.
W&M (and all US universities and providers) base credits on the number of contact hours in each course. The charts below are subject to change, but a general rule of thumb is:
- 24-36 contact hours = 2 W&M credits
- 40-45 contact hours = 3 W&M credits
- 50-60 contact hours = 4 W&M credits
Universities who issue ECTS credits (mostly in Europe), the conversion usually is:
- 3 ECTS = 1.5 W&M credits
- 4 ECTS = 2 W&M credits
- 5-6 ECTS = 2.5 or 3 W&M credits
- 8 ECTS = 4 W&M credits
Many UK universities use a point system for credits, which usually converts as follows:
- 10 points = 3 W&M credits
- 15 points = 4 W&M credits
- 20 points = 5 W&M credits
- 30 points = 7.5 or 8 W&M credits, depending on the university
Beginning Fall 2013, University of St. Andrews credits will transfer as follows:
- 10 St. Andrews points = 2.5 W&M credits
- 15 St. Andrews points = 3.8 W&M credits
- 20 St. Andrews points = 5 W&M credits
- 30 St. Andrews points = 7.5 W&M credits