Students participating in W&M faculty-led summer programs and W&M semester programs in Seville, Spain and La Plata, Argentina will receive W&M credit for courses taken abroad; grades will be posted on transcripts, and calculated into one's GPA. Pre- or post-approval of courses is generally not needed for these programs. If a student does take a course in La Plata or Sevilla that has not been pre-approved, post-approval will be required.
Students on other programs, including W&M exchange, St. Andrews assisted enroll and those through approved study abroad providers are eligible to receive transfer credit for their courses abroad provided the criteria below is met. Transfer credit will be awarded, grades will appear as a "T" on transcripts, and will not be calculated into one's GPA. Students must seek pre- or post-approval for all of these courses, using the Study Abroad Transfer Credit Approval Form.
Programs not listed in the directory require additional evaluation of transfer credit eligibility during the application process. Before applying for a program NOT listed in the directory please complete these Study Abroad Program Eligibility instructions.
In order to receive credit for courses taken abroad, students must:
- Register at http://studyabroad.wm.edu by November 2 (spring study abroad) and April 14 (summer and fall study abroad)
- Pay the required fee at the Cashier's Window in Blow Hall
- Obtain course pre- or post- approval from the appropriate academic department(s). Bring pre-approval forms to the Reves Center before you leave campus the semester prior to study abroad. Course approval is not due by the registration deadline of November 15 or April 15.
- Earn a W&M grade equivalent to "C" or higher (courses cannot be taken Pass/Fail)
Arrange to have an official final transcript sent by the host university, to:
Global Education Office, Reves Center
College of William & Mary
200 South Boundary Street Williamsburg, VA 23185
Note: If for any reason your institution sends the transcript to you instead of the Global Education Office at the Reves Center, do not open the envelope. Bring the transcript in the sealed envelope to the Global Education Office; we cannot accept opened transcripts. If the transcript has been opened, you will need to request a new transcript to be sent directly to the above address.
Once final transcripts have been received and all courses have been approved by the appropriate departments, your credits will be evaluated and sent to the Registrar's Office for posting to your record. The Global Education Office cannot approve courses, but will calculate and convert the number of credits earned while abroad. Neither faculty members nor the Registrar's Office calculates or converts foreign credits.
How foreign credits convert to W&M credits:
The number of credits issued by foreign universities varies considerably from country to country. The Global Education Office will determine the number of credits upon completion of the program, receipt of the official transcript and either pre or post-approval for each course. If a student is unclear about how credits will transfer, contact Debi DeBacco (email@example.com ) in the Global Education Office.
W&M (and all US universities and providers) base credits on the number of contact hours in each course. The charts below are subject to change, but a general rule of thumb is:
- 24-36 contact hours = 2 W&M credits
- 40-45 contact hours = 3 W&M credits
- 50-60 contact hours = 4 W&M credits
Universities who issue ECTS credits (mostly in Europe), the conversion usually is:
- 3 ECTS = 1.5 W&M credits
- 4 ECTS = 2 W&M credits
- 5-6 ECTS = 2.5 or 3 W&M credits
- 8 ECTS = 4 W&M credits
Many UK universities use a point system for credits, which usually converts as follows:
- 10 points = 3 W&M credits
- 15 points = 4 W&M credits
- 20 points = 5 W&M credits
- 30 points = 7.5 or 8 W&M credits, depending on the university
University of St. Andrews credits transfer as follows:
- 10 St. Andrews points = 2.5 W&M credits
- 15 St. Andrews points = 3.75 W&M credits
- 20 St. Andrews points = 5 W&M credits
- 30 St. Andrews points = 7.5 W&M credits