- Reves Center Scholarships
Need-based awards for students participating in W&M-sponsored summer and semester programs
- Critchfield Scholarship
Merit and need-based awards for study in particular Arabic-speaking countries
- Exeter Scholarship
Merit and need-based awards for study with the Exeter, U.K. exchange program.
- Timothy J. Sullivan Scholarship
Merit-based award for study at particular institutions in the U.K., with a preference for year-long study
- Zachary James Vaughan Memorial Scholarship
Need-based award for a student committed to public service and cross-cultural understanding who is studying abroad for a semester.
- Robert M. and Rebecca W. Gates Scholarships
Merit-based awards for outstanding students with a declared major in International Relations, Global Studies or Africana Studies.
- Berit Mesarick Scholarship
One-time only scholarship for summer 2014 for study at accredited institution in Norway. $6000.
Other William & Mary Scholarships
- Charles Center Summer Scholarships
The Charles Center offers a number of funding opportunities to support research during the summer. Unless otherwise noted, all awards are $3000 and projects must be for seven full-time weeks of undergraduate research.
- Chinese Government Scholarship
For Chinese majors studying at an eligible Chinese university for an academic year.
- Guthrie Scholarship
Scholarship for summer or semester research in German Studies
- Harriet Mayor Fulbright Summer Fellowship in Peace Studies
Support for summer research in international peace studies and conflict resolution
- McCormack-Reboussin Scholarship
Awarded to current French major juniors with the intent of supporting research to be conducted in a French-speaking country or region
- Roby-Sherman Dance Scholarship
The fund provides financial assistance to students who have shown outstanding dedication to the Dance Program and special ability in their dance work. Awards typically are made in the amount of $500 to $1500.
- Todd Weaver Study Abroad Scholarship
$2500 scholarship for Government and International Relations majors.
- Tyler Summer Research Grant
$500-$1000 grant to a junior or senior history major to fund related research over the summer.
Third Party Provider Scholarships
Each of the following third party providers offers their own scholarships for students going on their programs. For information regarding deadlines and specific scholarship application information, please visit their scholarship pages.
- AASAP/UK Lord Acton Memorial Scholarship (£1000)
Merit-based scholarship for study in the United Kingdom. Minimium length of study 1 semester.
- Academic Programs International (API) ($250-$1000)
- Advanced Studies in England (ASE) (£500-1000)
- American Institute for Foreign Study (AIFS) ($1000)
- Arcadia University ($500-$2000, based on financial need)
- AustraLearn (varies according to scholarship)
- Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE) (varies according to scholarship)
- Danish Institute for Study Abroad (DIS) ($250-$5000) (All W&M students studying on DIS programs receive a discount, $250-$500 for summer, and $3500 per semester. More information can be found here.)
- Institute for the International Education of Students (IES) (varies according to scholarship)
- Institute for Study Abroad-Butler (IFSA-Butler) First Generation Scholar Program (Up to $2,500 for first generation college students)
- International Studies Abroad (ISA) (varies according to scholarship)
- School for International Training (SIT) ($500-$10,000)
- Study Abroad Italy (SAI) ($500-$5000)
University Studies Abroad Consortium (USAC) (varies according to scholarship)
Other Scholarship Opportunities
- Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship (up to $5000, additional $3000 possible if studying a Critical Language)
For Pell Grant recipients only. Preference for non-traditional students and non-traditional study abroad locations. Semester and summer scholarships available.
- Benjamin Franklin Travel Grant ($1500)
For students enrolled in a double major program combining a major/certificate in French and a major in another discipline. Open to sophomores, juniors, and seniors.
- Bridging Scholarships
For study in Japan. $2500 for semester length, $4000 for academic year
- British Universities Transatlantic Exchange Association (BUTEX) Scholarships
For semester or year-long study at BUTEX affiliated universities in the UK
- David L. Boren Scholarship
Nationally competitive scholarship that focuses on geographic areas, languages, and fields of study that are critical to U.S. national security, broadly defined, and underrepresented in study abroad. Intended for long-term study abroad and students commit to seek work in the federal government for a specified amount of time after graduation.
For study in Germany
- Elie Wiesel Foundation in Ethics ($500-$5000)
Essay contest focused on combating indifference, intolerance and injustice through international dialogue and youth-focused programs that promote acceptance, understanding and equality.
- Foundation for Global Scholars ($500-$2500, $1000-$2000 for travel)
- Fund for Education Abroad ($5000-$10,000)
- Fund for Education Abroad (FEA) Rainbow Scholarship ($5000)
For American LBGT study abroad students
- Glimpse Correspondents Program Grants ($600)
Must be studying abroad for a minimium of 10 weeks and have regular internet access
- Global Studies Foundation Grants ($1000)
- Go! Overseas ($500)
- Golden Key Scholarship ($1000)
- Harriet Irsay Scholarship ($1000)
Preference given to American students of Polish heritage, open only to certain majors, check website for listing
- Institute for Humane Studies ($2000-$12,000)
- Inter Exchange Foundation ($2500-$10,000)
- International Student (up to $4000)
Travel video contest that requires an original short movie.
- Italia Rail ($1000)
Scholarship award for students studying abroad for semester only
- Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO) Scholarships (up to $10,000)
(formerly AIEJ) For study in Japan
- LIV Fund ($500)
For students interning, studying, or volunteering in certain countries in Central and South America
- Morgan Stanley Scholarships for Study in Japan ($7500)
For juniors and seniors with an interest in economics and international finance
- National Italian American Foundation ($2000-$12,000)
For Italian Americans and any student interested in Italian studies with a 3.5 or higher GPA planning to study in Italy
- PanHellenic Scholarship Foundation
For students of PanHellenic descent
- Pimsleur Appraoch Study Abroad Scholarship Contest ($1000)
Essay based contest (500 to 1000 words)
- Rotary Club Scholarship
For academic study from one to four years. Unrestricted in terms of destination.
- Sara's Wish Scholarship Fund
For women on non-traditional study abroad programs
- Sons of Norway Scholarships
For study in Norway
- STA Travel Scholarships ($1000 for summer, $2000 for semester)
- Student Youth Travel Foundation
- Swedish Scholarships
For study in Sweden
- ThinkSwiss Research Scholarship ($1000/month for max of 3 months)
For research study in Switzerland
- Thomas R. Pickering Foreign Affairs Fellowship
For women and members of minority groups historically underrepresented in the Foreign Service, seniors only
Study Abroad Scholarship Search Engines
- DiversityAbroad.com (for diverse students looking for funding)
- IIEPassport Study Abroad Funding
- Mobility International USA (provides tips for finding scholarships for students with cognitive, hearing, learning, mental health, physical, systemic, vision and other disabilities)
To find out more scholarship opportunities as they become available and to learn more about international education at W&M, please subscribe to the Reves Center’s What In the World?! weekly electronic digest.
*updated December, 2012