When you come to the U.S. from your home country it can be difficult choosing what to bring and what to wait to buy once you're in the U.S. We're here to help!
What to Bring from your Home Country: an extensive list of recommendations from current international studentsWhat to Buy once you're in the U.S.: ideas from current students on what to buy once you've arrived
Important Documents to Bring (Keep these in your carry-on luggage!)
- Passport and Visa
- I-20 or DS-2019
- Admission or invitation letter
- Financial documentation
- SEVIS Fee payment receipt
- Some cash and/or a credit card (MasterCard and Visa are accepted almost everywhere in the U.S!)
- Driver's license and international driver's license
- Phone number/contact information of person who will meet you at the airport (if that has been arranged for you)
- Phone number/contact address of any friends and relatives in the U.S.
What to Leave at Home
- Prohibited and Restricted Items
- Food items such as meat, cheese, fruits and vegetables
- Electric appliances (The U.S. operates on 110 V AC current operating on 60 cycles.)