Chinese Freshman Advantage Program
A special partnership of the W&M Confucius Institute and Reves Center for International Studies
Chinese Freshman Advantage Program flyer available in Mandarin and English.
Congratulations on your admission to W&M!
You have spent your school career preparing for university and now you are here! Beginning your study at a U.S. university is a great step forward and it is important that you are well prepared for it.
As a new Chinese university student in America, a place with a very different educational system, you will encounter many challenges, including adjusting to the different expectations of American professors, new styles of teaching and learning in the classroom, and issues with cross-cultural communication. In order to better prepare you for these challenges, William & Mary's Reves Center for International Studies and the William & Mary Confucius Institute have developed a new freshmen advantage program specifically for Chinese students.
This program, designed by both American and Chinese educators, will give you a great advantage as you start your study at William and Mary by giving you a head start in developing new skills required by your new environment. Through the program, you will have an opportunity to receive training in important elements of the American educational system that are not emphasized in Chinese classrooms.
Take this unique opportunity to get a leg up on your peers by getting an early start to your college career. Space is limited to only 20 students. First come, first served!
The Chinese Freshmen Advantage Program sets you on the road to success at W&M with:
- Early arrival: Arrive almost one month before the semester starts and become familiar with your new surroundings!
- Daily, small group ESL classes: Better prepare your spoken English to get ready for classroom participation!
- Training in academic writing and presentation skills to help you succeed in your college courses!
- Classes in Chinese-American cross-cultural communication that will help you better communicate with American professors and students!
- A guided research project to teach you how to do research - a must for success at American college!
- Meet faculty and learn about academic services and programs at W&M before anyone else!
- Opportunities to get to know American students in a person-to-person setting!
- Excursions: Trips to regional sites, Washington, D.C., and local cultural outings!
The Chinese Freshmen Advantage Program also includes:
- Pick up from the Richmond International Airport.
- Accommodations on campus in a university residence hall
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner in the university dining hall.
- Health insurance coverage with the W&M health insurance plan from the first day of the program.
Dates: July 31 - August 20, 2013
Location: College of William & Mary, Williamsburg, VA
Program fee: $3880. This fee is inclusive of all of the above.
Applications: We will begin accepting applications on May 1, 2013
For more information on this program, please contact the Office of International Students, Scholars, and Programs.