To determine if you are a resident or non-resident for tax purposes, first take the Substantial Presence Test. Then, if you are a resident for tax purposes, see the information below.
Federal tax forms must be filed by April 15, 2015. Virginia state tax forms must be filed by May 1, 20145
If you are a resident for tax purposes and you earned income during the previous year, you will need to file federal and state taxes. Depending on your income, you will be required to complete and file:
- Federal tax forms 1040EZ or if you itemize deductions, 1040 (pdf), and additional supporting forms.
- Virginia State tax forms 760 (pdf), or 760PY (pdf) if you lived in VA for less than half of 2013.
- Instructions for Form 760 (pdf) are also available.
Options for Assistance with Tax Filing
1. Online Tax Software
On-line tax preparation software (such as TurboTax, H&R Block At Home, etc.) asks you questions and then fills out and prints the forms for you. They also allow you to file them electronically. The individual license fee is typically $30 and up for federal taxes and $25 and up for state taxes.
Note: Many of these software programs are free through FreeFile if your income is below a certain level.
2. AARP Tax Assistance Volunteers
The AARP Tax-Aide Program is a free service of volunteers trained by the IRS who help older and low-moderate income earners file federal and state taxes.
|Williamsburg||not yet known||
Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday
Williamsburg Public Library
*Appointments can be made by calling:
|Gloucester||not yet known||
Gloucester County Library
* Appointments preferred
Saturdays: not yet known
10:30am - 1:00pm
For the AARP service you must bring with you the following documents:
- Passport, I-94 card
- Social Security card (if you have one)
- W-2, 1099 (if applicable), 1042-S (if applicable), 1098-T (if applicable)
- Receipts for any deductions you want to claim
- Bank account information: bring your checkbook, if you have one, as this will have your routing number. Otherwise, you should be able to find your bank's routing number online.
- Copy of your 2011 federal and state tax returns (if you filed taxes)
3. Professional Preparers
You can also use professional tax preparers (such as H&R Block, JacksonHewitt Tax Service, Liberty Tax Service, etc.) to file your taxes. These are typically much more costly than do-it-yourself software but can be beneficial if you have very complicated tax situations.
4. Just need forms?
In late March, Virginia tax sessions will be held at the Reves Center, and you can get assistance with your state taxes. To attend a session, you need to bring your completed federal tax return. Information about session times will be sent through the international student listserv.
The Reves Center for International Studies cannot assist with tax filing or tax advising. For liability reasons, we cannot help you prepare your forms nor answer tax questions.