To determine if you are a resident or non-resident for taxes, first take the Substantial Presence Test. Then, if you are a non-resident for taxes, see the information below.
Students and scholars who earned no U.S. income in 2014If you are a non-resident tax alien, and you earned no U.S. income during 2014, complete Form 8843. It's easy and only takes 10 minutes!
Federal tax forms must be mailed by April 15, 2015.
Virginia state tax forms must be mailed by May 1, 2015. If you also lived or worked in other states, their deadlines may vary.
- Blank Form 8843 (pdf)
- 8843 advice for W&M international students (pdf)
- 8843 advice for W&M international scholars (pdf)
- Complete the 8843 and mail it. Save a copy for at least 7 years (for audit purposes).
Students and Scholars who earned U.S. income in 2014If you are a non-resident for tax purposes and you earned income during 2014, you will need to file federal and state taxes. We suggest you use tax software from the Reves Center to complete your forms.
Documents to get started
- Passport, I-94, and DS-2019 or I-20
- W-2 (This is a tax statement sent by your employer that states how much you earned and how much tax you paid.)
- 1042-S (This is a tax statement for students who received assistantships.)
- 1099 (If you received miscellaneous income, you would have received this form.)
- Last year's U.S. tax return (if you have one)
- List of dates of trips outside the U.S. since you arrived to the U.S. (hint: check the stamps in your passport for help).
The Reves Center has purchased discount codes for the Sprintax tax program for international students, scholars, and OPT alums to help with federal taxes. When using Sprintax, you can only use one code, so if you use the Reves code, you can't use another.
A discount code for federal tax prep was sent to the international listservs on March 3, 2015. If you did not receive it, contact [[ehbailey, Emily Bailey]] from your W&M email to request the code.
Optional state tax preparation must be purchased separately. Free Virginia tax appointments are also available through the Reves Center by appointment.
Sprintax will prepare federal tax forms for you by asking you questions. You must then print out and mail the forms.
To use Sprintax, create an account, or sign in to an existing account:
- 760 (and instructions for completion): if you were a resident of Virginia more than half of 2014
- 760PY (and instructions for completion): if you lived in Virginia for less than half of 2014
3. Williamsburg VITA Tax Assistance Volunteers
The VITA Tax-Aide Program is a free service of volunteers trained by the IRS who help older and low to moderate income earners file federal and state taxes.
Tuesdays until April 15, 2015
Colonial Williamsburg Bruton Heights Ed Ctr
At the times listed above, Bill Meeks, who has experience with non-resident taxes, will be available. Additional times and locations for free tax preparation in Williamsburg and surrounding are also available, though they may not all have experience with international taxes.
In Gloucester, AARP tax resources are available, though they may have limited experience with non-resident (international) taxes.
Virginia tax appointments will be held at the Reves Center (Reves Room, 1st floor) for assistance with your state taxes, particularly for part-year Virginia residents, as Sprintax cannot do part year returns. During these appointments, the Commissioner of Revenue for James City County, Richard Bradshaw will help you with filing part year resident taxes.
Sign up for an appointment if:
- You had income in the US in 2014
- You first moved to Virginia in Summer or Fall 2014 (i.e. you were a VA resident for only part of the year)
- You have completed your federal tax forms before coming to the session. You must bring a copy of your completed federal tax forms to the session!
To sign up for an appointment:
- Call the Reves Center (757-221-3590).
- Ask to sign up for a State tax appointment with Emily.
- Provide them with your name, email and 930.
- Tax appointments are only at the times below (when Commissioner Bradshaw will be here). If you make an appointment at another time, we will not review your taxes.
- If all appointments are filled, come and wait to see if there will be a free spot, as most appointments will probably not take the full time.
- Appointments will be scheduled in 10 minute blocks. Please be on time for your appointment!
10 minute appointments will be held at these times only:
- Monday, March 30, 2015 (9-11am)
- Wednesday, April 1, 2015 (3-5pm)
- Thursday, April 2, 2015 (9-11am)
- Friday, April 3, 2015 (3-5pm)
Taxes for other States
If you resided in another state during part of 2014, you may have to file state taxes for that state.
The Reves Center for International Studies cannot assist with tax filing or tax advising. For liability reasons, we cannot help you prepare your forms nor answer specific tax questions.