To determine if you are a resident or non-resident for tax purposes, first take the Substantial Presence Test. Then, if you are a non-resident for tax purposes, see the information below.
Students and scholars who earned no U.S. income in 2012If you earned no U.S. income during 2012, you must only complete Form 8843. It's easy and only takes 10 minutes!
Federal tax forms must be filed by April 15, 2013. Virginia state tax forms must be filed by May 01, 2013.
- Blank Form 8843
- Students: Reves Center instructions to complete Form 8843 (pdf)
- Sample student completed Form 8843 (pdf)
- Scholars: Reves Center instructions to complete Form 8843 (pdf)
- Sample scholar completed Form 8843 (pdf)
- Sample scholar completed Form 8843 (pdf)
Complete the form and mail it in and you are done! Save a copy for your own records for at least 7 years.
If you are a non-resident for tax purposes and you earned income during 2012, you will need to file federal and state taxes. We suggest you use Windstar Foreign National Tax Resource (FNTR) Software to complete your forms. As of March 20, 2013 the state tax portion of Windstar is available.
Students and Scholars who earned U.S. income in 2012
Necessary Documents to get started
- Passport, I-94, and DS-2019 or I-20
- W-2 (This is a tax statement sent by your employer that states how much you earned and how much tax you paid.)
- 1042-S (This is a tax statement for students who received assistantships.)
- 1099 (If you received miscellaneous income, you would have received this form.)
- Last year's U.S. tax return (if you have one)
- List of dates of trips outside the U.S. since you arrived to the U.S. (hint: check the stamps in your passport for help).
Windstar FNTR is a program for tax return preparation specifically for non-resident tax aliens. The Reves Center has purchased this and it is available to you, at no cost, for filing federal and Virginia tax returns.
Windstar FNTR will prepare all the forms for you by asking you a series of questions and having you enter your information. You will then print out and mail the forms.
- To Access Windstar: Go to the Windstar portal. Here there are step by step directions for how to access Windstar and prepare your taxes.
- 760 (and instructions for completion): if you were a resident of Virginia more than half of 2012
- 760PY (and instructions for completion): if you lived in Virginia for less than half of 2012
3. Williamsburg VITA Tax Assistance Volunteers
The VITA Tax-Aide Program is a free service of volunteers trained by the IRS who help older and low to moderate income earners file federal and state taxes.
Feb 2 thru April 13
Tuesdays and Thursdays 2 pm-6pm
*Arrive by 1:30pm to make sure you get a time slot
Bruton Heights Education Center
Additional times and locations for VITA Tax preparation in Williamsburg in 2013 are available on the VITA flyer.
4. Virginia State Tax Sessions
Virginia tax appointments will be held at the Reves Center (Reves Room, 1st floor) for assistance with your state taxes, particularly for part-year Virginia residents, as Windstar cannot do part year returns. During these appointments, the Commissioner of Revenue will help you with filing part year resident taxes.
You can sign up for an appointment if:
- You earned income in the US in 2012
- You first moved to Virginia in Summer or Fall 2012 (i.e. you were a VA resident for only part of the year)
- You have completed your federal tax forms (Use Windstar) before coming to the session (no exceptions!). You must bring your federal tax returns to the session!
Appointments will be scheduled in 15 minute blocks. You must be on time for your appointment!
- Tuesday, March 26, 2013 (9-11am): all appointments in this block are filled, but you can come and wait for a free spot, since most appointments will not take the whole time
- Wednesday, March 27, 2013 (4-6pm): all appointments in this block are filled, but you can come and wait for a free spot, since most appointments will not take the whole time
- Thursday, March 28, 2013 (10-12pm)
- Friday, March 29, 2013 (10-12pm)
To sign up for an appointment:
- Call the Reves Center (757-221-3594).
- Ask to sign up for a State tax appointment with Emily.
- Provide them with your name, email and 930.
- If all appointments are filled, you can come and wait to see if there will be a free spot, as most appointments will probably not take the full time.
Taxes for other States
If you resided in another state during part of 2012, you may have to file state taxes for that state.
Please be advised that the Reves Center for International Studies is not authorized to assist with tax filing or tax advising. Therefore, for liability reasons, we cannot help you prepare your forms nor answer specific tax questions.