Federal law requires that all persons in J-1 and J-2 status maintain adequate health insurance for the duration of their stay in the United States. Given the high cost of medical care in the U.S., it is advisable that all persons purchase health insurance coverage for themselves and their dependents, regardless of immigration status.
Minimum Federal Requirements for Health Insurance for Persons in J-1 and J-2 Status
- Accident/illness coverage of at least $50,000 per incident
- Repatriation coverage of at least $7,500
- Medical evacuation coverage of at least $10,000
- Per incident deductible of not more than $500
- Any health insurance policy must also cover maternity/pregnancy.
Options for those employed by William and Mary
Insurance options for William and Mary employees can be found on the Human Resources website. If you are insured under W&M employee health insurance plan, you must still purchase additional medical evacuation and repatriation coverage. The Harbour Group is one company that offers this plan for $60 per year.
Options for those not employed by William and Mary
If you are in J-1 status, make sure that the health insurance plan you purchase meets the above requirements. Below are some options.
- William & Mary Student Insurance (Questions should be directed to [[trsike, Trista Sikes]], Student Insurance Coordinator. Phone: 757-221-2978)
- The Harbour Group
- HTH Worldwide
- ISO: International Student Organization