William & Mary

Housing Options During Breaks

Short Term Options when On-campus Housing is Closed

If you need housing because on-campus housing is closed, here are a few options that international (and out of state) students have used in the past:

  • Stay in a hotel.  Many local hotels offer rates for long stays that are cheaper than their short stay rates.  If you decide to stay in a hotel, try going to the hotel to see if they will give you a lower rate for your stay if it will be for a longer period than typical stays. Some international students have stayed at the Day’s Inn or Governor’s Inn in the past for winter break.
  • Sublet an apartment, or rent an apartment for a short period of time.  William & Mary’s off campus housing website advertises these opportunities, which are mainly common during summer break.  Students who live off campus, but who do not stay in Williamsburg for the summer, often rent out their rooms for the summer.  Some of these options include furnishings (bed, etc). There are also sometimes apartments that are rented by landlords on a monthly basis. Other international students in the past have also done this. As the summer approaches, more of these opportunities are advertised here.
  • Send a message to the W&M post-it list serv to ask about renting a room, or to get housing recommendations or seek a roommate.  If you would like to contact current international students, email [[international-postit]] with your message.  An email will go out to the international student community the Thursday after you submit your request.  In your email, you can ask if anyone knows of any rooms that will be rented during the period that you need, or whatever other request you have.
Fall and Spring Break

All residence halls remain open for fall break and spring break.

Thanksgiving Break

During the Thanksgiving break in November, all Residence Halls will remain open. See Residence Life for details.

Winter Break

The residence halls, with the exception of Tribe Square and the Graduate Complex, are not open for occupancy during the longer winter break. A provision for international students who need housing during the winter break is sometimes available for students who will be continuing their studies at W&M in the spring semester.  To inquire, [[globe, contact]] the Reves Center.  Students are encouraged to plan ahead and make alternative arrangements during semester breaks.

Many international students travel during breaks, or stay with friends who live off-campus. Another alternative is to stay in one of the local hotels, which are located within 1-3 miles from campus. See the Williamsburg Hotel and Motel Association website for ideas on places to stay.

Summer Housing Options
  • Graduate Students. Some graduate students may be eligible to apply for summer housing before their classes begin.  Summer graduate housing is also sometimes available for graduate students the summer after they have graduated.  See Residence Life for details.
  • Undergraduate Students.  Undergraduate students who are on campus doing research or attending summer session may be eligible to apply for summer housing.  However, there is often a housing gap for undergraduates between the end of the spring semester and the start of summer session, as undergraduate residence halls typically close for several weeks for deep cleaning and repairs.  New undergraduate international students must wait for the start of international orientation to move in to on-campus housing. See above for housing options for when on-campus housing is closed.
Storage Options

Residence Life typically offers several on-campus storage options for students returning to campus housing in the fall or in summer session. This typically fills quickly.  They also recommend several local storage companies.