Below are the forms and documents needed to request a certificate of eligibility (Form I-20 or DS-2019) from the Reves Center for a student visa. The Reves Center's goal is to issue the I-20 or DS-2019 within 2 business days of receipt of request.
Fall Admits: June 15
Spring Admits: December 5
Summer Admits: April 15
I-20s and DS-2019s
An I-20 is a document issued by the Reves Center to enable an international student to obtain an F-1 student visa. I-20s are primarily issued for degree-seeking students. DS-2019s are primarily issued for international exchange students, but degree-seeking students can qualify if a substantial portion (at least 33%) of their funding comes from sources other than personal/family funds.
To request an I-20 or DS-2019, please submit the following to the Reves Center:
- Departmental Immigration Document Request Form [pdf] (completed by the department/school)
- Supplemental International Form [pdf] (completed by student)
- Financial Certification Form 2014/2015 [pdf] (completed by students enrolling AY 2014-15)
- Financial Certification Form 2015/2016 [pdf] (completed by students enrolling AY 2015-16)
- Copy of admission letter
- Documentation of any W&M scholarship/assistantship awarded (if described in admission letter, no additional documentation needed)
- Proof of language proficiency (TOEFL score copy, etc.) or reason for waiver
- Any additional items to be sent (if Reves is sending packet)
Students can arrive in the U.S. up to 30 days before the start date listed on their I-20 or DS-2019. If program activities will begin before this time, we can issue an I-20 or DS-2019 with an earlier start date, as long as the student will be enrolled full time (in at least 6 credits). If you have questions about this, contact our office.
SEVIS Transfer Students
Students already attending a school in the U.S. on an F-1 or J-1 visa may need to have their SEVIS record transferred to us. When we receive the request from the department, we will determine if a SEVIS transfer is needed; if so, we will contact the student.