Employees at W&M and VIMS must have a Social Security Number (SSN) to be entered into the Payroll system. If an employee does not have an SSN, he/she must apply in person at the Social Security Office. See Social Security Numbers for details on the SSN application process.
Applying for a SSN
- The employee must have been in the U.S. for at least 3 days after any international travel. This is so the government database has time to update.
- F-1 students will need an SSN Letter of Employment (doc) to be completed by the hiring department. Complete and sign this letter and give it to the student.
- J-1 students must request a letter from the Reves Center.
- Employees in most other visas types do not need a special letter of employment to apply, but must be authorized for employment in the U.S.
- SSNs typically take 3 weeks or less to arrive. If the process is taking longer, contact [[ehbailey, Emily Bailey]] for assistance.
Working Without an SSN
- The employee may legally begin work without an SSN but will not receive a paycheck until he/she has one.
- Some departments prefer to wait until the employee has the SSN to begin work.
- Once the SSN arrives, then the employee can be paid for the time that they worked before the SSN arrived.
- SSN questions? Contact Reves Center ISSP staff: 757-221-3590.