The Reves Center handles visa sponsorship of international faculty, staff, scholars and visitors to the university. Below is information on types of position and sponsorship options. With few exceptions (interns, musicians and artists), the individual must hold at least a bachelor's degree to be eligible for sponsorship. The Reves Center staff will advise on the most appropriate visa type for a particular position.
Visa Types for Sponsorship
- B-1 and B-2 (Visitors, Guest Lecturers)
- H-1B (Faculty and Staff)
- J-1 (Visiting Scholars, Interns, and Visiting Academic Positions)
- Permanent Residency (University Sponsored Greencard)
Position classifications and visa options
|Tenure eligible faculty||x||x||x||x||x|
|Non-tenure eligible faculty||x||x||x||x||x|
|Intern or Visiting scholar||x||x|
**For H-1B and Permanent Residency sponsorship, the position must be full-time.
Visa Sponsorship Not Needed
Sometimes an international employee may already have work authorization.
- EADs (Employment Authorization Cards) are not obtained through university sponsorship. They are obtained directly by the employee from Immigration through processes such as OPT (Optional Practical Training for F-1 students), dependent work authorization (e.g. J-2), and adjustment of status.
- STEM OPT. This work authorization is a type of EAD obtained by the employee, but the hiring department will have some paperwork and reporting requirements.