Here are some tips on selecting a roommate which will go a long way to ensuring that you and your roommate(s) have a quality living experience together:
Discuss study habits and the expected study environment:
- Do you like to study with background noise?
- Would you mind small interruptions when studying?
- Do you prefer to study in the room or another location?
Discuss social habits and guests in the room:
- How often do you like to have friends over?
- Do you like to have an open door policy for your friends and hall mates?
- How do you feel about guest of either gender sleeping over?
Discuss your cleaning habits or preferences (sweeping, dusting,
messes, dishes, bathrooms, etc.)
- Do you prefer a spotlessly clean room or is neat and tidy your preference?
- Do you do laundry on a regular basis or only when you are completely out of clothes to wear?
Be careful that you and your roommate(s) have the same idea of your
- Are you looking for a best friend, someone to do things with on weekends, or just a roommate?
- Discuss how you feel about sharing personal property, including food, clothing, and electronic equipment.
- Do you prefer your roommate(s) ask before eating your food, borrowing your clothes or using your computer?
- Is it okay to share and what is off limits?
- Discuss how you plan to handle disagreements or misunderstandings when they happen. Stick to your agreement; avoidance and/or gossip is never the way to resolve a conflict.