Flexible Housing is an option in which two, three, four or six upper-class or graduate students elect to share an apartment/room/suite regardless of sex, gender, or gender expression. Housing for two or three students will be in Ludwell. Groups of four students will be able to select Cabell, Tribe Square or any double room suite in upper-class housing. Housing for six students will be in Nicholas. Students accepted into the CW House or a Living Learning Community (including the Mosaic House and the Language Houses) will also be eligible for Flexible Housing. Flexible Housing for graduate students will be in two, three or four bedroom apartments at the Graduate Complex.
Flexible Housing for freshmen is offered on a limited bases. Locations for freshmen are limited to double and triple rooms in residence halls in which single use bathrooms are available.
Flexible Housing is completely optional and all students entering into a Flexible Housing option must carefully read, accept and understand the expectations listed below. Flexible Housing is not intended for and is highly discouraged for romantic couples. However, students will not be asked for their reasoning for requesting Flexible Housing.
- Groups must be of mixed sex according to student records in Banner to select through Flexible Housing.
- All individuals in a group must be at least 18 years of age at the time of the request.
- For upper-class and graduate students, all individuals in a group must be eligible for campus housing. Groups cannot mix undergraduate and graduate students in a Flexible Housing selection.
- For upper-class and graduate students, all students must be eligible for the Room Selection Process, have paid the room selection deposit by the designated deadline and have a valid room selection time block.
- For freshmen, all individuals in the group must pay the Admission deposit and complete the on-line housing application and contract by May 31.
- All individuals in a group must sign the Flexible Housing Agreement - provided by Residence Life at the time of selection or assignment.
Flexible Housing Procedures
- Graduate selection for Flexible Housing will be held on Tuesday, March 22, 2018 between 9:00AM – 4:00PM at Residence Life, Campus Center 212.
- Upper-class selection for Flexible Housing will occur at Residence Life, Campus Center 212 during the on-line room selection on Monday through Friday, April 9-13, 2018.
- Overcrowd and Block housing options will be listed on-line after Same Room Selection.
- Additional information about the Flexible Housing selection process will be available soon.
- Students selected for a Living Learning Community will select housing on Wednesday, February 28 during the selection process for their House.
- Freshmen will be assigned to housing in mid-July.
- Apartments/Suites for upper-class and graduate students will be selected on a first-come, first-served basis during the best time block within your group.
- Groups must have the correct number of eligible students for the space being selected or assigned.
- All students in the group must come to Residence Life or have a valid proxy on file with Residence Life when selecting an apartment/suite (not applicable to freshman).
- Each student in the group will be required to sign the Flexible Housing Agreement as an addendum to their current Housing Contract.
- If a student cancels their housing or moves out of the space for any reason, the remaining residents will have one week to identify a new roommate to fill the space. If the space is not filled by the designated date, Residence Life may fill the space with a student of the same sex or another student who has requested Flexible Housing as an option.
- If a vacancy cannot be filled, Residence Life reserves the right to relocate the remaining residents or to consolidate students in Flexible Housing if necessary.
- It is the student’s choice to tell their parents or guardian about a decision to live in Flexible Housing. Residence Life encourages students to have this conversation with their parents or guardians before committing to Flexible Housing since re-assignment may be difficult after Flexible Housing is selected.
Contact Residence Life if you have questions.