We have been informed by the Student Health Center that your physicians request for you to have a room air conditioner has been approved. In order to maintain the safety and condition of our buildings, we require that all student owned room air conditioners on campus either be inspected for safe and secure installation by Facilities Management staff or be installed by Facilities Management staff. Because this is mandatory, there will be no charge for this service.
If you would like us to install your AC, please contact Facilities Management upon your arrival to campus and after your AC has been placed in the room and is ready for installation. Installations are essentially on a first come, first served basis and your AC must be in the room and placed under the window prior to placing your request for installation. Facilities Management can be reached on the web or you may also call Work Control directly at 757.221.2270. Please DO NOT call or submit your request to Facilities Management prior to your arrival.
Please note that the following conditions apply to the installation of private air conditioners in student rooms:
- Residents must provide their own air conditioner.
- Air conditioners must be wired for 110-120 volts and should not exceed 6000 BTUs.
- Because of the age of some of our buildings, electrical capacities vary. Residents may need to limit or adjust use of their air conditioner so as not to trip circuit breakers, especially as this may affect electricity in other rooms.
- Please note the air conditioner size restrictions are included at the end of this message. If your residence hall is not listed, there are no special size restrictions.
- All installations must be inspected or completed by Facilities Management personnel.
- Facilities Management personnel will be working throughout check-in to install air conditioners.
Given the volume of air conditioner installation requests that are received, we recognize that some residents may wish to install their air conditioners prior to the arrival of Facilities Management personnel. If you choose to install your own air conditioner, leave your screen inside the room. Facilities staff will remove it when they come by to inspect and secure the air conditioner (including any wood panels needed to ensure a tight fit). Do not hammer on the window frame or force the air conditioner into the window. Residents will be held responsible for any damage incurred to the building as well as face possible judicial action due to the unauthorized or improper installation of an air conditioner by anyone other than Facilities Management personnel.
If you have further questions, please contact our office [[living]].
Director of Housing Operations