Departments & Offices » Residence Life » Frequently Asked Questions » Mold and Mildew
Mold and Mildew
It’s not the heat…it’s the humidity that causes mold and mildew to develop in the residence halls. The combination of Williamsburg’s high relative humidity and thermostats set below 700 cause the moisture to condense inside the residence halls and form mold and mildew. To help prevent the growth of mold and mildew on your hall, it is essential that you do the following if you live in an air conditioned building:
- If you have a thermostat, set it to 700 or higher.
- Always keep your window closed.
- Always keep exterior doors closed.
If you see mold or mildew in the building, submit a work order. If the mold or mildew recurs, please indicate such in the work order to alert Facilities Management and Environmental, Health and Safety to investigate and test as necessary.