William and Mary

Graduate Students

Many of your questions regarding campus housing can be answered by the information provided on our website. Below are questions we are frequently asked with links to additional information. Please contact us at [[living]] with additional questions you may have.

May I see my room before the move-in date?

No. Apartments are not available to see before the move-in dates. Many are occupied during the summer months or are undergoing construction, renovation, or housekeeping work. We have diagrams of apartments available on our web site. Select the room configuration from the list to see a particular room.

Back to Top

Who are Graduate Resident Assistants, the Complex Director, and Area Directors?

A GRA is a fellow graduate student trained to  develop community and help residents in the Graduate Complex. GRAs report to the Complex Director (CD) and the Area Director (AD). The Complex Director assists the Area Director in the administration and management of the Complex. An AD is a full-time staff member responsible for the management of a specific group of buildings. This includes community development and the training of student residential staff. For more information about Area Directors and the other positions listed, also see Housing Contract Residence Life Staff.

Back to Top

When can I move in?

See Graduate Student Check-in Schedule. Students who are arriving in the summer months or in January will need to make individual check-in arrangements with Residence Life.

Back to Top

How can I change my hall/apartment, room and/or roommate preference?

When you fill out your housing application, you have the opportunity to indicate a roommate preference. Roommate preferences will be honored if possible. Both students must request each other on their application. Also, in order for us to grant roommate preferences, both residents must be part of the first pool of students who receive housing offers. Once the first round of offers are made, it is rare we are able to accommodate roommate preferences. From that point forward, our only available spaces arise from students who decline their housing offer. Therefore, it is unlikely a space will become available with a specific roommate.  Room change requests may be made two weeks after the first day of classes. Because we are typically at 100% occupancy to start the year, it may be difficult to change rooms.F or more information also see the Housing Contract Room Changes and Checking out of a Room.

Back to Top

Are phones provided?

No. Students living in W&M residence halls who want landline phone service in their rooms will need to request the service and pay a small activation fee. However, students must bring their own telephones. All resident students will be able to make local calls from the landline phones that will be available in the hallways of on campus residences. Beginning July 1, students will be able to request phone service for their rooms. Students will use the IT Bill website to activate landline phone service. A voice mailbox and instructions for use are provided on the Information Technology site.

Back to Top

Will I have cable television access and a computer connection?

Both are provided in each room. A shielded coaxial cable is needed for the television, and an Ethernet card is needed for the computer. Wireless internet service is available in all residence halls. For information on internet service and cable television, visit the Information Technology site.

Back to Top

Where do I send packages and mail?

The Campus Post Office will accept packages through the U.S. Postal Service that are addressed to the student's Graduate Student Housing (GSH) mailbox with a "Hold for Pick-up" on the box. It is advised that students do not send their boxes too far in advance due to a lack of storage space at the W & M facility. Students are encouraged to pick up their mail box key at the College Post Office located in the Sadler Center any time after they are issued a GSH box assignment.

To ensure proper delivery of parcels from UPS, FED-EX or other carriers, mail should be addressed using the address format below:

Graduate Students
Students Name
GSH # # # #
110 Sadler Center
Williamsburg, VA 23185

For information on how to properly address mail and how to receive UPS or FedEx packages, see the Housing Contract Postal Service/Mail.

Back to Top

Are laundry facilities provided?

Washers and dryers are provided in the lowest level of the 300 building. We currently use high efficiency front loading washers in the residence halls. Manufacturer's guidelines recommend high efficiency liquid detergent (1/4 cup) instead of powered detergent. Look for detergents with the high efficiency logo. Detergent 'cakes' should not be used in these machines.

Back to Top

What is the smoking policy in the residence halls?

In compliance with the requirements of the Commonwealth of Virginia, all residence halls are smoke-free. Residents and their guests must refrain from smoking at any time they are physically present on the hall, including private residence rooms.

Back to Top

I still have an unanswered question. How can I find out the answer?

First, see if you can find the answers to your questions in the Residence Life Contract, Policies and Resource Guide. It will be included in our housing assignments mailing in July. Also, it is indexed below. Additionally, feel free to e-mail us with your questions at [[living]].

Back to Top

Index to Housing Contract and Guide


Back to Top