Housing Assistants at the College of William and Mary are part-time student staff members. The Housing Assistant is a member of the Residence Life staff reporting directly to the Assistant Director for Fraternity and Sorority Housing, the Associate Vice President for Student Affairs (Campus Living)/Director of Residence Life and ultimately to the Vice President for Student Affairs.
Housing Assistants will comply with all policies, procedures, and conditions printed in the current edition of the Student Handbook, the Student Housing Agreement, the Fraternity & Sorority Housing Manual, the Residence Life Student Staff Manual, the Housing Assistant Employment Agreement, the Student Acknowledgement of Confidentiality in Working with Administrative Data Agreement, and the written expectations provided by the Assistant Director for Fraternity and Sorority Housing. Housing Assistants work a maximum average of fifteen (15) hours per week over the course of the spring and fall semesters according to the dates contracted.
Administrative Responsibilities and Communication
- Assist the Assistant Director for Fraternity and Sorority Housing in the administration and management of the assigned area, including completion of tasks and duties, and attending weekly staff meetings.
- Document information as instructed on departmental and area-specific forms (work orders, damage reports, inventories, Incident Report system, Room Condition Reports (eRCR), weekly reports, surveys, etc.). Complete other paperwork as required and directed by Assistant Director for Fraternity and Sorority Housing.
- Perform key inventories and complete required forms according to instructions.
- Perform building/safety inspections; identify and report safety/security concerns and violations of College and Residence Life policies.
- Distribute paperwork, flyers, and brochures; email residents as directed.
- Help educate residents about safety/security measures and College and Residence Life policies and procedures; attend chapter meetings as needed.
Training, Meetings, and Duty Responsibilities
- In coordination with other staff members perform day and night time building/safety checks as scheduled by the Assistant Director for Fraternity and Sorority Housing.
- Serve office hours as scheduled by the Assistant Director for Fraternity and Sorority Housing.
- Attend staff meetings, training sessions and individual meetings with supervisor; work as member of a staff team.
- Assist with the opening and closing of the residence halls at the beginning and end of each semester and other officially scheduled breaks.
- Serve as a resource, referral, and communication agent.
- Abide by College policies; assist campus officials or other responsible parties elsewhere on campus when requested to do so.
- All Residence Life student staff are considered essential personnel and are required to be present to provide assistance during crises and emergencies (hurricanes, building/system failures, student death, etc.) as long as the university and/or residence halls remain open and occupied.
- Assume other duties as assigned.
- Must be a currently enrolled, full-time degree-seeking student of the College of William and Mary or a candidate for admission.
- Must have a cumulative 2.0 grade point average to be eligible for application, appointment and continuance.
- Must not have a conduct or honor sanction that is equal to or more stringent than probation during the application, appointment, and employment period.
- Must return to campus prior to the official opening of both the fall and spring semesters and must remain after the official closing of both the fall and spring semesters as contracted.
- Student staff members hired for the subsequent year must attend job orientation meetings conducted in the spring semester.
- Must agree to be listed in the College directory in both paper and electronic formats.
- Must set up voice mail with the provided telephone and phone number on the campus phone system.
- Preference in hiring will be given to members of fraternities and sororities.
- Room rent as specified in the Housing Assistant Employee Agreement
- $500 stipend paid in 4 installments of $125 each at the midpoint and end of each semester
- Student staff are part-time employees of the college and may not work more than 29 hours per week (May 1 – April 30) or 1508 hours per year including all jobs at the college. If a staff member exceeds 1508 hours, their employment will be terminated.
- Residence Life student staff are expected to limit outside activities so that those activities will not conflict with their position responsibilities. Students who have major academic or extracurricular commitments should carefully review the situation with the Assistant Director for Fraternity and Sorority Life or the Associate Director for Community Development prior to accepting employment as a Housing Assistant.
The College of William and Mary does not discriminate on the basis of race/ethnicity, color, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, mental or physical disability or status as a disabled Veteran in the administration of its educational policies, programs or activities, admission policies and procedures, scholarship and loan programs, employment, recreational, athletic or other college-administered program. It is also the policy of the College to implement appropriate affirmative action initiatives.