William and Mary

Using Veterans Benefits

Certification for educational benefits is a service provided by the Office of the Registrar.  We assist students with the processing of Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) forms for educational benefits, provide guidance about specific procedural requirements, and submit enrollment certifications for each semester to VA.  It is the student's responsibility to decide which benefit is most appropriate for him/her based on individual circumstances and then apply to VA (VONApp) in order to use the benefits.

If you have not applied to William and Mary, please contact the appropriate admission office for further information on admission requirements.

Using Benefits at William and Mary For The First Time

Students must submit completed VA Benefits Information Sheet (pdf) and Certificate of Eligibility (COE). If you have not received your COE from the VA, please contact [[vabenefits, the Veterans Benefits Officer]] to see what additional documentation is needed.

If you have used VA benefits at a previous institution, please submit a Change of Program Notification to VA (through VONApp) and send a copy to W&M along with your other materials.

Continuing Benefits at W&M

Students utilizing VA benefits have the following responsibilities :

  • Each semester prior to the upcoming term’s registration, the student will receive an email from the Veterans Benefits Officer with instructions on continuing the process.  Reply to that email from your College email account each semester to confirm continuing enrollment in the benefits process.  The student may also elect NOT to receive benefits for any given semester.  A non-response is taken as the student’s election not to receive benefits for the term in question.
  • DO NOT register in courses for which you have previously received a passing grade/credit (even if taken at another institution).  * Be advised, VA benefits do not cover any courses that are taken on an audit basis and the credits will not be counted in the course load for the purpose of certifying your enrollment.  For example, if an undergraduate student enrolls in 12 credits, three credits of which are taken for audit, it will be considered enrollment in 9 credits for the purpose of VA status.
  • Notify the Veterans Benefits Officer if you : change majors, alter course load, withdraw from classes, do not enroll for a term that has been certified, have depleted your VA educational benefits, or change addresses.  (An address change must also be reported directly to VA.)
Additional Resources

Please feel free to [[vabenefits, contact us]] if you require any further assistance, or have any questions regarding VA benefits at William and Mary.  The College does not have access to military records and cannot determine eligibility. All eligibility and payment questions should be directed to the Department of Veterans Affairs by calling 1-888-GIBILL-1.