William and Mary

Studying Away from W&M

Once a student matriculates at the College of William and Mary, transfer credit for work taken elsewhere (post-WM matriculation) is only granted with pre-approval and under very special circumstances.  Students must be in good standing at William and Mary, both academically and judicially, in order to request or receive approval of transfer credit.   Courses taken elsewhere post- matriculation at William and Mary may not be used to satisfy major, minor, proficiency or GER requirements without specific pre-authorization from the Committee on Degrees. Below are the approved study away options:

Study Abroad

See the Reves Center for information about studying in another country and receiving credit for your studies.

Domestic Study Away

W&M students who wish to enroll full-time in a specific academic experience (e.g., "New York City Term") offered by another U.S. institution may request certification as "Domestic Study Away."  In this status, the student remains an active W&M student and may be able to use financial aid for tuition if a "consortium agreement" can be created.  The approval process must be completed by the last day of classes for the term before the Domestic Study Away.  See our forms page for the form(s) and instructions.

Take Courses Elsewhere - Summer

During the summer, students may take courses at another institution while between academic terms at William and Mary.  Before enrolling at the other institution, the student must complete the "Permission to Take Courses Elsewhere – Summer Session" form (pdf). It must be approved by the Registrar's Office prior to the last day of spring classes.

Take Courses Elsewhere - Fall/Spring

During the regular academic term (Fall/Spring), students are expected to enroll full-time (unless otherwise approved) at William and Mary with a minimum of 12 credits.  If personal circumstances or opportunities require the student to leave Williamsburg, but the student wishes to take courses while away, the student must first withdraw from the college through the Dean of Students Office, and then complete the "Permission to Take Courses Elsewhere – Fall/Spring Semester" form (pdf).  In addition to completing the form, students seeking major, minor, proficiency or GER credit must petition the Committee on Degrees, and students seeking internship credit must petition the Dean of Undergraduate Studies. The student must be readmitted to the college by the Dean of Students Office before transfer credit is posted to the record.