FERPA permits the disclosure of information deemed by the university to be "Directory Information" without written consent (§99.31(a)(11)).
At William and Mary, this information includes:
• Student name
• Current classification
• Address (permanent, local, and email)
• Previous schools attended and degrees awarded
• Telephone numbers
• Dates of attendance
• Current enrollment status
• Degree(s) earned and dates awarded
• Major(s), Minor
• Scholarships, awards, honors and special recognition
• Height, weight, and birth date of members of athletic teams
Students may prohibit the release of directory information by completing the Request for Confidentiality Form (pdf). This request will remain on file indefinitely until written notice is submitted by the student to remove the confidentiality request.
For additional information regarding students' rights related to the release of personally identifiable information, see the 'Statement of Rights and Responsibilities' in the Student Handbook.
Release of Academic Information to Parents
Students who wish their parents to have access to academic, judicial and/or financial information protected by FERPA may provide consent by completing the appropriate form in the Office of the Dean of Students.