Visiting status is intended for a clearly-articulated academic experience that is unique to William & Mary or central to the degree at the student's home institution. Visiting status is not intended for mere credit accrual. Enrollment as a visiting student is limited to one semester, except for existing exchange agreements. Visiting students must enroll full-time (12 or more credits for undergraduates) unless part-time goals are approved in the application process and validated by the student's home institution.
International students should contact the Reves Center for International Studies for information on submitting an exchange student application.
Visiting student status is not an initial stage for transferring to W&M and admission as a visiting students does not guarantee admission as a transfer student to W&M. Students who have been denied admission to W&M as transfer applicants will not be offered admission as non degree seeking visiting students.
Eligibility for Summer Terms
The same requirements as fall and spring exist for summer terms, except that official transcripts, a personal letter and a letter of approval from the home institution are not required for enrollment as a visiting non degree seeking student during summer terms.
Eligibility for Fall & Spring Terms
- Students enrolled full-time at other institutions may request to attend W&M for one semester provided they have permission from the sending college and they plan to return to that institution.
- Students must be in good standing and matriculated at an accredited four-year college or university.
- Applicants must present academic credentials that demonstrate likely success at W&M.
- Applicants may not have been denied transfer acceptance at W&M.
Identify Courses for Application
- Open Course List - search for open courses in upcoming terms
- Dynamic Schedule in Banner - includes course information and instructor emails
Complete Application Forms
- Non-Degree Seeking Application (pdf)
- Application to Determine Physical Residency/In-State Tuition (pdf)
- Official transcripts for all college work
- Personal letter stating your reason for seeking visiting student status. A very clear academic proposal outlining academic experiences unique to W&M and central to the degree at the student's home institution should be provided and will weigh heavily in consideration of admissibility.
- Letter of approval from the student's home institution's Office of the University Registrar or academic advisor identifying courses that will transfer to the home institution. This letter must include:
- Permission to take classes at W&M
- Confirmation that W&M courses will transfer to the home institution and count toward a bachelor's degree
Register for Courses
Once you have been accepted, you will receive an email containing information on how to activate your William & Mary UserID and register for courses through Banner. This information will be emailed to the email address you provided on your application. If you have not received an email within a week of the beginning of the term, please contact the University Registrar's Office. Registration begins on the first day of classes. Check the academic calendar for term dates.
Tuition and fees are due and payable by the due date as established by the Bursar's Office.
Policies & Resources for Non Degree Seeking Students
Please visit the Policies & Resources webpage for non degree seeking students.